1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Tracks Please Run Minis

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Scott Swensgard, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I went to a "Guest Dinner" thing at AMP because they "wanted some motorcycle people" there. The car guys did not care for us and it was clear that we did not have the funds to play.... I know the owner and text him a few times per year. Their fee is way higher than I was willing to pay, especially after I saw the track. I even offered to do some control riding if they needed me. I honestly think they are hoping for more car guys with deep pockets.... we all know motorcycle racers are broke... ha ha ha.

2. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

New Castle was doing Supermoto/mini bikes every other Monday night, not sure if they still are. The nicest kart track and facility I have ever been to.

G&J South of Indy is more than happy to have bikes come out. Some of the nicest people run the track.

East Lansing, MI Kart track lets bikes run any open practice that does not have a kart race the next day, and has said if someone would organize it we could do a series there but no one has stepped up yet and I travel to much for work. Owner passed away this year, was hit by a car and killed in FL. May he Rest in Peace, wonderful guy.

Jackson, MI Kart track is Kart friendly but no one has been running there much.

Michigan peeps are know for saying they will show up and ride then not! We do have a 7 year old young man named Jalin that is pretty fast and has been going down to Herrins and winning, he will be even faster this year after playing on the ice all winter.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  3. hrc_nick_11

4. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

was that G&J in Ohio you mentioned? You said South of Indy but the only thing I can see is east in Camden.

I have contacted both New Castle and G&J by email, hope to get some track time.

5. hrc_nick_11

Yeah G&J is in Camden, OH East of Indy. Not sure what I was thinking. Great track nice and wide.

6. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Cool. I am pretty excited about getting a bike together to do this. Should triple my seat time for pennies on the dollar lol.

7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

bump for mongo.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can get a mini only license without the school.

9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

one more thing mongo is there a wera mini schedule anywhere?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, they're at every race at Talladega, Barber, Jennings, Pittsburgh International, Summit Point, and all WERA West other than Miller. GNF Minis don't go for regional points at Barber, it's just for fun.

Going to check out NOLA more in a couple weeks, might add it to the list.

11. wrlamkin

wrlamkin Well-Known Member

OMRL races in Circleville Ohio, just south of Columbus. New Castle lets the bikes run on Tuesday's, they use the East Oval with a small road course attached, they do not usually let the bikes on the big track. G&J is a good track to practice, just show up with $15 and run all you want. G&J does not allow bikes on the track the Friday before a kart race. When you are at the track, only bikes or karts on the track at one time, you have to take turns, usually not a problem. The kart guys are cool, especially if a kid is ridiang a bike.

12. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

The motard track at Nola is fun!

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I bet. The kart track would work but not for us since I can't really afford another entire set of officials or track rental for a couple of classes. I'm pretty sure I can make a good course by shortening the big one but I need to get on track in person to do it right.

14. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

suppose i could drive over to Decatur and try and talk some sense
    into the jackass that owns BTK....:eek:

[​IMG]

15. FatAndSlowToo

FatAndSlowToo Member

Would you be allowed to take the school on a mini?

16. raddad13

raddad13 Well-Known Member

Ive seen a few riders take the school on a mini

17. raddad13

raddad13 Well-Known Member

You would think with money (or lack of) being like it is that they would rent the track out a few saturdays or sundays to mini guys for the extra income.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No. Way too much of a speed/size difference between the minis and the bigger machines. You absolutely could take the classroom portion and then just run the mini practice where we could keep an eye on you easily enough.

19. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

you'd think....

from my experience the cart guys tend to shun the two wheeled bretheren.

20. hrc_nick_11

At most of the tracks I have been to the kart guys all walk over to the fence and watch with their mouths wide open. We have even been invited to come ride the ice at ones plowed ice road course. We have also been invited to have a team at a endurance kart race on a ice hockey rink.

But we also do our part with sliders and catch cans so we do not ruin the track. We have also showed up and ran in the rain while all the karts sit in the pits.

We have had very few issues with the kart guys. They are always surprised when we all go out together also, they run in groups even during open practice like they are afraid to pass each other.