1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Tracks Please Run Minis

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Scott Swensgard, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Just poking for info/insight. How come no more than three tracks run Minis in the southeast? I know and know of many talented kids who would love to get out on big tracks. As for the kart tracks there are not many offerings left either.
    Is it costs,insurance,track owners,the economy, what? These kids are the future of our sport and the U.S. path to Moto GP, AMA, etc. seems dismal compared to other countries. What can we do to attract new youth racers who grow up to be adult racers to grow the sport?

2. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I believe it is more the track layout/length that determines if they run or not. JMO

3. raddad13

raddad13 Well-Known Member

+1

Road A is tooo big for the mini's
    RRR and NOLA have straits that would kill us.

I would like to run at more tracks also, but understand why we dont.
    We do get to run 1/2 the SE tracks this year.

And if wera go's back to cmp that would be another and if someone buys nashville if if if all if's.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Insurance company has a track length limit, add in not all that many riders running them and you've got no real incentive for us to push for longer tracks.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

um how about a parking lot and some cones?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't have enough officials to run a second event within one of our events sorry.

7. fireman343

fireman343 Well-Known Member

Herrins track is close to ya in GA right? I'm having problems trying to afford the good mini tracks like PIRC (Beaver) and New Castle near Indy.. They are world class facilities but are really expensive to rent for one day over the weekend! Sucks too because we can help some really talented kids experience some different track layouts but trying to keep the cost down is hard... Not everyone will pay big bike track races prices for minis! Lol

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, we're not a mini org, far from it, never will be but we hope to offer something a little different for the riders who want to try out the larger tracks.

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Which is something I do not understand. Put some scooter tires on that XR pit bike and come race. It's cheap, fun and a nice change of pace. As an added bonus it's almost as good as a track walk.

<edit> Thank you for doing the mini stuff, won't be long before I can race my kids out there. Some of the most fun races I've ever had have been in the minis, especially when it rains. :D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  10. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

There was a time when the mini class wasn't a bunch of old farts on XRs...;)

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not sure why people aren't out playing on the pit bikes more. Can't be the cost. Guess they just don't want to mess up their lunch time....

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

You are going to have to elaborate on that one, I don't have a clue what you mean.

What I do know is there is usually no one out there and it's a shame. There were 5 bikes total last weekend for the 50 and 80 races, 2 of which I believe were ridden by kids.

13. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

In reference to your statement about not understanding about limiting track length, if I understood you right.
    It was just a couple of years ago when the mini class was larger with the majority of riders being kids on real racebikes...I recall there was sometimes 2 XRs. Even at tracks like Barber, Nashville and CMP we had 9-10 yr old kids doing 90mph...not that is really a bad thing. Throw in a race prep 85/150 at VIR or the full straight at Summit they were clocked at over 100 (trackdays). That might have something to do with the decision, but I don't know for sure because that isn't my department. JMO

14. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

No, I wasn't asking about track length. What I don't understand is why more people aren't out there at all. Ride through the pits and there are bikes that would be legal everywhere and it only costs a few bucks.

15. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Oh ok, I misunderstood.

16. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

I raced mine at Tally and Nashville and ended up riding around all by myself. I can do that at home for free. If more peeps showed up I'd jump on it. My pit bike is an xr80 and wont keep up with the 100's especially with my big ass on it. Anyone got a cheap 100 motor layin around?

17. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I'm doing this Ninja 250 style, get out there and ride around. They will come. :D

18. raddad13

raddad13 Well-Known Member

I would like to see more kids keep ridding mini's for seat time and keeping up corner speed , but for a lot of them its a 1 or 2 yr steping stone.(which is what it was intended for I think)And its worked great for them.

I would be willing to bet that we have had 3 or 4 kids just in the past 3 years that Ive been back around a race track, that will go on to do great things in the sport.

So the question is where is the next group of young riders?

stephen I still have a 100 motor that needs going through. hint hint ;)

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

lots of young ones at Herrins once a month or more... FL supermoto is starting up in Starke in a week or 2... another org with a specific kids/mini class.

20. bella749

bella749 Well-Known Member

Does Palmetto Supertrack in Elgin, SC still have a mini series?