1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Obama helpfulness?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by eggfooyoung, Sep 5, 2019.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

They only answer more...

2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but as a group I suspect the dungeon dwellers would be more apt to help someone trying to help themselves. There in lies the difference, you want to save the world by mandate and force of law, most here want everyone to do better than some just will not.

EDIT: Put another way you are SF wanting to give needles to junkies so they are clean, most of us would be willing to help someone trying to get clean but otherwise no.

cav115 likes this.
  3. sheepofblue

Future unibomber, don't let him read ManBearPigs book

lrrs517 likes this.
  4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You have this (and me) totally wrong. A leftist wants to control people by making them subservient and reliant, ie: regulation, taxation, and welfare. A "conservative" wants to control people by making them think they can get wealthy and/or by attempting to legislate some sort of morality on them. I've done neither.

My entire beef with how the system is set up is that the wealthy and powerful have used government to enrich themselves to the detriment of the less fortunate. My position is that the government should not be involved in any of this mess (loans for education, healthcare, food, etc) outside of making sure everyone is playing by the same set of rules. Time and time again, various lobbies have used their wealth to influence the government in order to legitimize whatever devious money making scheme they've come up with. Whether it be backing loans that drive up education costs, setting dietary guidelines that are a boon for the farm lobby but actually make people sick, setting insurance regulations that prevent competition in the market, or a thousand other things, the theme is the same: more profit for the big business at the expense of the little guy.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How in the world do you get "give it away freely" from anything I've ever said? You people really need to learn to read and stop assuming that just because somebody doesn't agree with your Fox News parrotting that they're a communist.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Not based on the written opinion of nearly everyone here. There's lessons to be learned - the hard way!!!

I don't want to "save the world by force of law", I want a fairly and equally applied law. I want honesty and clarity in business and advertising. I have no problem with people having to take responsibility for their decisions, but I want those decisions to be based on accurate information.

Put very simply: If you sell me magic beans, and those beans turn out to be regular old beans, I want to be able to hold YOU responsible for lying to me instead of being wholly responsible myself for trusting you.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

“Nobody understands me!”

Who’s the common denominator?

sheepofblue likes this.
  8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Define "mistake". If you buy a dozen eggs at the grocery store, get home, and they're all rotten, did you make a mistake in not checking them before purchase or should the grocer be responsible for leaving them on a hot loading dock for two days before putting them in the cooler?

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Gee, I don’t know.

Did I look at the expiration date on the package?

cav115 likes this.
  10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Nobody wants to understand. They want to pick a box and stick me in it.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Expiration date has nothing to do with it. They're well within the range. They weren't handled properly during shipping.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The schools man. The schools. The money flowing into the schools is RIDONKULOUS. While I suspect there's some creative accounting going on in a similar fashion to bundling and shorting of mortgage based securities, the big winner in all of this is the schools themselves. Tuition has tripled in the past 20 years, far outpacing inflation, and it's all because of these government backed, easy to get loans.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Bullshit expiration date has nothing to do with it.

If I’m dumb enough to buy eggs past their expiration and they end up being rotten, I guess I deserve rotten eggs.

You, of course, would rather the chickens be sent to the gas chamber.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

wow...1.5 trillion of gov't backed debts fot education. Almost 9 trillion in consumer mortgage debt.

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

At least a mortgage has something of (variable) value backing it...

brex and TurboBlew like this.
  16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Don't put words in my mouth. So you agree that there should be accurate, reliable information provided to you so you can make an informed decision, correct? So please, when you make as informed a decision as you can, yet you do not get what you agreed to purchase, who is responsible? Why did you not check each egg thoroughly before making your purchase? Why didn't you interview the store manager about his egg transporting system? Did you know you can test for rotten eggs by floating them in water - good eggs will sink. Shouldn't you have a bucket with you to perform this test (or are you an idiot that deserves to "learn his lesson")?

17. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Trying to compare buying eggs at a store to taking out a loan for a college degree. :crackup: If stupid had sex with retarded, this is the love child it would make.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

That’s fucking rich, coming from you.

Don’t make moronic comparisons and cry when you’re proven wrong — again.

Walter Matthau said it best.

Why don't you do the world a favor and take your lower lip and pull it over your head and swallow?

cav115 likes this.
  19. sheepofblue

You misspelled straight jacket

ryoung57 likes this.
  20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I have to dumb it down for PE