1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mold in trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by bmart23, Feb 5, 2015.

1. bmart23

bmart23 Well-Known Member

So my last trip to the track it rained a little so bikes gear etc. got put away a little wet. Never had any signs of mold until now, so how do I get rid of the mold inside the trailer? thanks

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

bleach

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Is it mold or mildew? Spraying mold with vinegar will kill it. Wear a mask.

4. bmart23

Idk really? I thought bleach too, but was told it didnt really kill the mold safely?

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Does Bleach Kill Mold?

Although the active ingredient in bleach, sodium hypochlorite, is the main ingredient in many mold removal products, there are many reasons to use alternatives to chlorine bleach when killing mold.

One reason is that bleach cannot completely kill mold growing in porous materials. The chlorine in bleach cannot penetrate into porous surfaces such as drywall or wood. The chlorine is left on the surface of porous materials and only the water component of the bleach is absorbed into the material, providing more moisture for the mold to feed on.

Some of the mold on the surface might be killed but the roots of the mold are left intact meaning the mold soon returns, leaving you in a cycle of repeated bleaching. Perhaps this is why some people believe that spraying bleach on mold doesn't affect it but instead just bleaches its color so you can no longer see it.

Another disadvantage of bleach is that it can damage the materials it's used on as it is a harsh, corrosive chemical. Chlorine bleach also gives off harsh fumes and it even produces toxic gas when mixed with ammonia. There are safer alternatives such as borax or vinegar which don't produce dangerous fumes or leave behind toxic residue. For these reasons try to avoid using bleach and if you must use it, only use it on non-porous surface

6. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

Wouldn't a dehumidifier work try dry it out?

7. bmart23

ok cool thanks for the info bro!!! I'll try the vinegar then I guess i need to figure out how to prevent it in the future, i was thinking battery powered fans maybe??? or dehumidifier maybe

8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Yep, that is what these guys say as well
    http://www.normi.org/articles/bleach-mold.php

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think air movement is the best treatment to keep it from coming back. Even just a standard fan to move air if it gets wet again. Does your trailer have a leak?

10. bmart23

ok thanks guys!!! No leaks, i think it was putting everthing in wet :down:

11. bmart23

but its been raining all nite and still is so I think I'll be able to check real good for leaks

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

does your trailer have a roof vent? What about a side vent?
    I keep the roof vent open under one of those $35 RV plastic vent covers. Mine also has a side vent so as you're traveling vapors get vented and you get some air exchanges.

Only other thing I do is remove any all all damp gear when I get home.

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

This ^^^ I leave a couple vents cracked all the time.

15. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

You have to burn it. Then move from your house, get sick and come on here to tell everyone how sick you are.

16. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Bleach hides it, vinegar kills it.
    I live on a boat. My shit always gets put away wet...