1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modern day bmx racing

Discussion in 'General' started by r6fast, Jun 26, 2019.

1. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

When I was young a raced bmx for years. I haven't been on one in prob 25 years. They have built a really nice track about 20 mins from my house and I have been contemplating it. Anyone still into it?think I would go the cruiser route in my older age.

joec likes this.
  2. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

3. t11ravis

Spoke to my LBS guy the other day. He said the 29" are too big for the track and really are just for cruising the beach, paddock, etc.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why not drive over and see what everyone at the races is using? Are you looking to race again Or are you just looking for a bicycle to cruise around on?

5. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Check out Redline Bikes for proper racing machine. The geometry is different than typical street stuff sold at bike shops.

6. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

I still ride a 20" BMX bike. Could never really get into cruisers. If you're going to get into cruiser, you may as well go full 26" and get a dirt jumper unless you actually want to race and not just dirt jump.

IMG_3199_realsmall.JPG

2001chromo, r6fast and t11ravis like this.
  7. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I ride whatever Bart Taylor rides.

r6fast and renegade17 like this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Okay, might be a really stupid question but when did everyone start running rear brakes only? Everyone I see with a "real" race bike is running only rears.

9. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

On a BMX? 1980s... The front isn't needed for racing.

10. t11ravis

We were rear only in the late 70's/early 80's.

backbone likes this.
  11. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Mongoose!

12. Bloodhound

Depending on you height/weight and what you feel comfortable on 20", 22" and 24" would all serve you well. I have a 20" but prefer 24" myself. I honestly can't bring myself to a 26 or 29 BMX style bike as they roll smoother for urban assault but don't really handle as well IMO.

Stop by the LBS and roll a coue around the parking lot or, if you know what you want, check FB marketplace and Craigslist for some bargains. Be advised, today's GT, Mongoose and a few others aren't really the companies they once were.

ducnut and t11ravis like this.
  13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I’ve been a bike guy for decades. My first bike was not a bmx style bike. What would be a recommended bmx style bike? I don’t have a clue about them except their single speed coaster cogs that I put on my single speed bike.

14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Always... fronts never needed...

15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

PK Ripper here... ran across some old BMX racing pics today matter of fact...

t11ravis likes this.
  16. bradd15

bradd15 Well-Known Member

I had a Hutch Pro Racer as a kid and used to go to the local track with it....great times.

17. rwdfun

rwdfun

What ever you get, make sure you get a light kit for the wheels. Only rad people have them.
    [​IMG]

dtalbott and TurboBlew like this.
  18. Bloodhound

The older Murrays, Huffy, Schwinn, and other normal dept store bikes always seemed to come with the and the "2-finger grooved brake handle".... That seemed to go away when freewheel became much more prominent.

19. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Freewheel was for street or freestyle, not for BMX racing

20. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Well at the World Championships at Indy in 81 everyone had a freewheel..i beg to differ

TSAVO5150 and Bloodhound like this.