1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixing Suspension Brands

Discussion in 'General' started by Trunxgp1224, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

What are everyone's thoughts on this. I ask because the 08 GSXR I have came with Ohlins forks with GP caps and a stock shock. I can find plenty of used Penske rears but no Ohlins. I notice things like AK or GP forks and Penske or JRI shocks but I've never seen anything with Ohlins. Is there mechanical reasoning behind it or just preference?

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Brands don't have shit to do with how suspension works. As long as the pieces are setup and working the way you like the brands don't matter.

3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Other than making sure your suspension guy can work on both brands I don't think it's a big deal

MELK-MAN likes this.
  4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I have Ohlins 25mm carts and a Penske shock on my 600, works fine for me,

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

This thread is not Broome approved!

I had a Ohlins front and penske rear, I was still slow. So it doesn't matter :D

Gorilla George, MELK-MAN and caferace like this.
  6. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

I had ohlins front and Penske rear on my 08 1000....turned my fastest laps to date on that bike

7. It won't work. Just like how you can't mix different tire brands front and rear. The bike won't handle right. If you try it, you can count on certain doom.

8. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

1s50wt.jpg

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Guaranteed crash

10. caferace

caferace No.

I would hesitate however with say a Shows fork leg on one side, and an Ohlins on the other. While I know Broome would faint if he saw that, that'd even be weird to me. And odds are, There would be some suspension madman out there that could make it work.

-jim

11. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a GP bike years ago that had the spring(s) in one fork leg and the damper in the other?

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what would happen if he had a bike that required 2 rear shocks? :D

13. caferace

caferace No.

Meltdown.

-jim

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. caferace

caferace No.

Not uncommon in modern bikes. Still gives me the creeps.

-jim

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's springs, valve bodies. shims and fluid. They all work under the same laws of physics. The brand name on them has no affect on the laws of physics.

DaveB likes this.
  16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Well, in theory, since most now have compression in one side and rebound in the other, you should be able to make it work.

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

18. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Been a few bikes like that. Aprilia rs250 was that way

19. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Lots of bikes come with one brand shock and a different brand forks from the factory...