1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MIPS - good read on helmet safety

Discussion in 'Tech' started by nd4spd, Feb 19, 2020.

1. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

2. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

asphalt and rubber had a good write up on MIPS/6axis stuff a while back. Two different technologies approaching the same result. Great to see improvements being made. I wish Arai or AGV would get on board with something like this.

Tj Hunter likes this.
  3. Tj Hunter

Tj Hunter Well-Known Member

Ive been diehard AGV since 2013 and 1 major crash that it saved me from, but I have been entertaining a Bell as my next helmet until they can wise up to these technologies.

4. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I feel the same way, but really like the quality feel and sight lines of the Arai and AGV. I’ve noticed some complaints on Revzilla of the view during a tuck on the Bells.
    My old AGV GPTEch was like that. You’d be looking at the brow vents instead of the visor during a tuck. I’d give up MIPS if the vision of a competitor is hugely better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tj Hunter likes this.
  5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I have it in my dirtbike lid, not really much to it to be honest, piece of plastic with some foam glued onto it.

6. Gravisman

Gravisman Well-Known Member

Definitely plan to go Bell for my next helmet specifically for MIPS.

Arai has an interesting and surprising stance on the rotational stuff, which is they don’t need it because they design their shells to slip/slide and avoid rotational energy inputs. I find that a little dubious, but then again nobody is more serious about their helmets than Arai.

7. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I tried the new version of the 6D street helmet. Fit and weight was great for me. $700 wasn't quite impulse buy level. Miles better than their first version. I think Wyman wears it.

8. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

9. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I went with 6D. Cracked skull in a few places once, broke that helmet, and another in a separate crash. Both were motocross. Protecting my brain is a helmets most important function. My Shoei x14 really has no significant change in protection from my helmets worn in the late 70s or early 80s. Ex. Bell Moto 3. Shell-EPS-Liner. Very good to see Fly (dirt bike helmets) and 6D make meaningful improvements. MIPS and Bell Flex are also steps in the right direction.

418 likes this.
  10. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I was almost all set to buy a 6D ATS-1R. Tried one on and loved the feel and fit. But the only review that was more involved than reading the spec sheet was by @Sportbike Track Gear. Brian's one big negative was the helmet lifting at higher speeds. So not sure I want to buy it with track as the intended use. Unless @KWyman133 is allowed to give some honest feedback.

11. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I read that review. Had to think hard about it. Decided protection was worth the try. Rode two days last weekend at the track, fastest place was only low 140s on my R6, but it was no issue there. No perceptible lift when coming out to brake. I’ve ridden multiple times on the street back to back with my x14. The x14 is a little slimmer (Both size L) and cuts the wind a little bit better. Not enough of a difference to really matter to me. Only notice if you turn your head. X14 aero with 6D protection would be perfect. Be interested in honest critique from Cameron Beaubier and Kyle Wyman.