1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Military choices for my kid?

Discussion in 'General' started by Wingnut, Oct 10, 2019.

1. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

"Go Navy"!!......I'm always glad to hear of a young person going into any military branch. It shows alot of character. Best of luck to her wherever she ends up!

I will say this about USCG.....IRON GUTS, dam those guys can handle some rough seas!

And a Bravo to the OP for helping her in more ways than 1....bravo sir!

rd400racer likes this.
  2. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

No love for ROTC? (As an alternative to one of the academies. I'm biased; my oldest daughter went AF-ROTC, it paid tuition and a small stipend. We helped her a bit and she graduated debt free and of course had that sweet second louie slot waiting.)

ducnut likes this.
  3. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

when you talk to him please extend an invitation to him for our tailgate. Its the largest at USAFA ranging from 50 to 300 people. Its called Thudgate and is at the far south end of the tailgate area. Plenty of food and adult bevs (if he is not in uniform). We start 4 hours before the game and end one hour before kickoff with a toast of Jeremiah Weed.

I am the bartender so I am easy to find. I sent you a PM with my phone number. I extend this invite for anyone I "know" from WERA or their family or friends who attend an Air Force games.

Go Falcons!

ORIF likes this.
  4. J Bart

J Bart Fat Kid Track Days

Fonda Dix,
    Please toast John Chapman and Jason Cunningham....First There That Others May Live

Potts N Pans and ORIF like this.
  5. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

We shall.

Quick story: Last year for the Navy game we held a special toast as we started presenting our John A Chapman Service Before Self Award. His mother was there along with other relatives and fellow warriors. It was a very touching event and a day I will always remember. Here is a few pics. Also, you can see video of our toast on this day by going to Youtube and searching Thudgate. Watch the video from 2018 with Secretary Wilson as the thumbnail.
    The attendees are pretty impressive. My buddy Rick, at retired F15 driver, kicks things off. Its worth the watch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ORIF likes this.
  6. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Go Navy

dantheman likes this.
  7. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Well you have heard it now from another DD214 carrying member. I didn't realize the Coast Guard had such thin skin, guess thats why they are DHS not DOD and hence not part of the military

Geezus it is a joke not a dick, that has been going around for at least 2 decades ever since I joined. Besides if it weren't for the Coasties, the Air Force wouldn't have anyone to make fun of, other than the normal Marine and crayon jokes.

dtalbott likes this.
  8. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

Congrats to your girl for wanting to serve. Not an easy choice for youngsters these days. I have nothing but praise and admiration for those that have served or are about to serve. I would look into Rotc. Still not to late to get all her paperwork in. Although there are a lot of tight deadlines to meet. Regardless she can always choose ROTC at college even if not on scholarship 1st year. That's if she goes a 4 year degree route. Takes a lot of dedication, Rotc is not an easy option. Quite a few try, not all are sucessful in comissioning. Takes a certain person to me an officer.

Hopefully my son goes off to Air Force field training next summer.

Fonda Dix likes this.
  9. KrashBandit

KrashBandit The other guy at Pit Bull

Echoing what several others have said - my brother and I both went in(me in the Army, him in the Air Force) and his quality of life was much better. When we both got out, he got a high paying civilian job due to his technical training. I had to float around for a bit before taking a job unrelated to my training at this company that made motorcycle kick stands or something like that. My son is closing in on college, and if he decides on a military path I will strongly encourage him to go with the Air Force.

ducnut and Jon Wilkens like this.
  10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

[​IMG]

2Fer, ChemGuy and dtalbott like this.
  11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck