1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Military choices for my kid?

Discussion in 'General' started by Wingnut, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

All knowing Beeb I'm looking for some advice.

My daughter is finishing up her High school at a Military Academy. She eventually wants to get into nursing and wants to first serve in the military. She met with an Army nat. Guard recruiter yesterday. She wants to enroll into her current school's 2 year junior college program.

So between Nat Guard, Army and Air force. Give me some pros and cons.

2. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Air Force.
    My daughter is currently AF Staff Sargent in the medical field.
    Shoot me a PM if you want more details.

track wagon likes this.
  3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

A former coworker's daughter graduated with her nursing degree and chose the Navy. It sounds like they gave her the best deal as far as choosing where she went, type of position she'd be in, chances for promotion, etc. I see that the Navy isn't on your list, but can it be, or is there a reason why it's omitted? Best of luck to her!

I should also add, my SIL is a retired Colonel in the USAF. She's a nurse as well. She made a nice career out of it. From what it sounds like, the USAF has nice accommodations for officers, and also has good opportunities for advancement. If you have any more specific questions, I'm happy to reach out to my SIL for you.

track wagon likes this.
  4. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I cant type much due to an injured hand but when it comes to nursing, it all depends on what type of nursing she wants. Do you know?

Would she consider applying to a service academy? I can help her with that if she has decent grades and is somewhat athletic.

Finally, if you are willing to answer, in what general area of the country do you live now?

5. Fonda Dix

Respect to your girl.

Go Air Force.

evakat likes this.
  6. Wingnut

She has done varsity volleyball and runs hurdles in track. Typically A's and B's but struggles with Algebra.
    What is a service academy?

We currently live in Sedona ,AZ.

7. Wingnut

Not opposed to the Navy at all.

She currently is looking at General RN.

8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Air Force Academy, Navy Academy, West Point.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Air Farce or Navy.

evakat likes this.
  10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

First things first, do NOT trust what the recruiter says. Double check all sources and get EVERYTHING in writing. After that, just do research, determine likely postings, deployment requirements (I believe everyone in the Navy has to do at least one cruise), etc.

And since it's your daughter we're talking about, please be aware of how certain parts of the military treat females.

11. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I'm active duty Army. If my kids want to join I'd push them to the Airforce first. Standard of living is better all the way around.

Circacee, Dave250, gy999r and 2 others like this.
  12. Wingnut

Shes currently at New Mexico military institute.

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

If she wants to go into a life saving career, why the heck isn't she looking into the Coast Guard?

(yeah, I've always got to support my guys:D)

Jed likes this.
  14. Dom17

Dom17 Well-Known Member

I don't have any personal experience in the armed services but I have friends who were in the air Force(nurse practitioner). One of the things that was nice about the air Force was ( at least at the time) did their cardio training on stationary bikes. Not that there's anything wrong with running but having knee pain when your older because you ran your ass off for your job isn't a fair deal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Coast Guard Academy

Shenanigans likes this.
  16. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

From easiest to hardest:

Air Force
    Navy
    Army
    Marines

Not sure of where the Coast Guard would fit in there.

17. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Air Force has the best quality of life from my personal experience (20+ in the Army working with all branches). My wife is retired Air Guard after doing Army, she said the AF is way more better. Although, my cousin who is a nurse has enjoyed her time in the Navy but she has gotten a lot of "special" assignments and has not done regular nurse duty and she has done minimal time on a ship in her 12 years. She says she may not have the same opinion if she had a lot of sea duty. My son just joined the Army (infantry) and my daughter will probably do the Air Guard.

Dave250 and ducnut like this.
  18. Pride & Joy

Pride & Joy Well-Known Member

28 years in the AF worked out very well for me. There are lots of great opportunities in all branches of the military. Don't ignore the Reserve components either, as they offer a great way to gain training and work experience for a civilian career. FWIW, with the exception of field conditions, I usually had nicer accommodations than my peers from other services, but I think the gap has closed over the past few years. PM if you have any questions I can help answer.

19. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Air Force (as much as this hurts my Army brat feelings).

Air Force nerds were given substandard living allowance while living in our barracks. Fuck those guys :D

If she is looking at the trauma side, Army all the way. If she want's the trauma side and be in the best shape of her life, Marines.

Dave250 likes this.
  20. Fonda Dix

Basically a $400k education in exchange for a service commitment to a branch of the service. You do four years of education and then commission as an officer. The commitment lengths vary based on MOS and institution.

The major academies are:
    US Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
    US Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD
    US Military Academy, West Point, NY
    US Merchant Marine Academy, Nassau County, NY
    US Coast Guard Academy, New London, CT

There is also and EXCELLENT junior college in Roswell called New Mexico Military Institute.

Let me pull together some links for you.

Shenanigans and BigBird like this.