1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mileage run - yes or no

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Dec 5, 2019.

1. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

It was good while it lasted...
    I just want to maintain enough status that I can get Comfort Plus so I can get off the plane and don't have to watch all of the mouthbreathers trying to get their shit out of the overhead bins when we land. Believe it or not I am not really a people person.:crackup:

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Let me think.... Trying to remember the last time I was 7 miles from the ground in an aluminum tube with a couple of hundred strangers' germs recirculating in the air I was breathing...

2016, if I remember right.

Some back of the envelope math calculations show about a 4 minute free fall for a human body at terminal velocity from 7 miles up. That's a long damn time to ponder your imminent splattering.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I’d recommend taking a parachute with you if you plan on departing the cabin area during the flight ;)

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

where did you fly from for maui?? Coming from the east coast it was like $2300/ticket for 1st class. Was trying to go next summer

5. bfkidd

bfkidd Well-Known Member

That seems about right from or through ATL. Seems like they have targeted sales to get it under $2k (think mine was ~1,600), but right now looks like ~2,200 is the average lowest price for first for low demand times. I also connected through SEA which for some reason seems to be a big gateway there and has some low fares so that leg also plays into the price.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

C+ is only a dream for me these days. I remember my first flight after losing status. It was LAX to somewhere in Europe... I think I redeemed Delta miles for an economy seat. I was absolutely mortified to get on the plane and sit in economy and thought there was no way I was going to survive the flight. Gotdamn it was terrifying!

Phl218 and crashman like this.
  7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup:I feel your pain. I end up in the cattle car once in a while every summer due to all of the bluehairs that are coming to Alaska for their "trip of a lifetime". I pout like a 3rd grader that did not get invited to a birthday party if I dont at least get bumped to C+. And I know I am being a little bitch about it but don't care!
    Wifey and I went to Italy last spring and she was looking up seats and thought Economy would be the way to go to save on miles. I was all "ain't no fucking way I am going to willingly sit in cattle class on that long of a flight" and burned up the extra miles. She was thanking me by the time we got to Rome.:D

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yes, yes, you are.

crashman likes this.
  9. I was diamond by July, some rollover mqm’s helped a bit but I’d rather not have to fly so much to begin with. I am kind of lucky as I think I only have about 26 or 28 legs. Most of my flights are $10k business class trips to Asia so you usually get ~25k MQM per round trip

Phl218 likes this.
  10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Wouldn't matter. The explosive decompression at that high an altitude would likely kill everyone anyway.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh shush.

This is no place for science. :moon:

TurboBlew likes this.
  12. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Does Delta let you pay to cover the gap to retain your status?

I'm a few hundred bucks from retaining Gold at AA, we'll see by the end of the month but I'm hoping they'll give me a cheaper offer than making me fly in circles. For me, it's worth it, I don't get upgraded often, but it lets me pick the first couple rows of economy (they call it Main Cabin Extra or whatever) without the surcharge, which is an extra few inches of legroom, free booze and early boarding (and exit).

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

They do send out offers to some people about paying for "upgraded" status. Most people who are just shy will just burn some cash and do a same day run. Used to be that many of the air lines would give you a complimentary bump if you were just short. Some say they have called in and asked and gotten it...You can check flyertalk - AA forum for more info on AA spefically.

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

Yeah they do but going rate is close to $1 / MQM

so, not viable in my case

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh, just looked and if I hadn't used miles for the last trip to Willow I'd have hit Gold this year. Now to go see if I have to rent a car to keep Executive at National :crackup:

Phl218 likes this.
  16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Any mattress runners here? I've done it once.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, huh?

This thread was helpful, I'm good at National until Feb of 2021.

18. Phl218

Phl218 .

FFS my MQM‘s did not carry over

:whoosh:

19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Wait... what? How did that happen?

Edit...it takes few days for them to show up

Quit scaring me...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

United's FF site is down, saying they are getting things tabulated and transferred over, so hopefully Delta/AA are doing the same at the moment.