1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mileage run - yes or no

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

delta gold here, i need 10880 more MQM's for platinum

could fly to Honolulu (on miles i still have or under a grand cash) and earn 10060, that would still leave me 800 short.

anything further for more MQMs is running higher dollars, but i am considering rolling over MQM's and stay gold...

first time i'm considering reaching for platinum. no clue what to do.

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

In my experience, platinum never got me any upgrades. Probably depends on your local market and what your chances are of getting upgrades with platinum. In Billings, platinum is a guaranteed upgrade, while in orange county, diamonds never get upgraded unless they are on a full fare F ticket.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not familiar with the differences that Delta has between gold and platinum. I took a day trip to LA (from NJ lol) to tick gold status for next year, it was a cheap ass flight surprisingly and got to fly on one of their new 787-10's in premiere plus seats so all around worth a $280 ticket.

Phl218 likes this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

Yeah, should have probably looked a month ago. No cheapos up for grabs no more

5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Start a go fund me account or have @Metalhead own a PBR stand and sell .50 shots of beer and y’all could split the proceeds.

I just how chromedome doesn’t drink all of the profits. :rolleyes:

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yeah, I booked it like a month in advance expecting that I was going to be running short.

I'm already scheming on how to make status for next year now that United has changed their qualifier structure. Basically going to be trying to take connecting flights everywhere since individual flights (rather than miles flown) are what they are tracking.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Unless you fly out of some podunk airport on low volume routes you wont get many upgrades to F as PT vs GO. Delta has been doing what they call FCM First Class Monetization for the last year or 2. The CEO's goal is to sell 80%+ of F seats vs giving them away. Thats why you'll see some fairly cheap buy ups from J.

What it can do is give you instant C+ when you buy an economy ticket for domestic. If your 2020 flight plan is still pretty heavy just rollover miles and hit PT earlier.

Also in case you want to keep an eye out for deals go to flyertalk.com...its the beeb for FF. I am considering flying LAX to TPE on China Airlines for the hell of it earlier next year from a post on there showing RT prices at like $400. China is skyteam and you can get big MQM from partners and credit it to delta.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

IIRC China Eastern/Southern earn you only 25% MQM, so make sure to check the fine print.

9. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Im just over 100k on delta and have one last trip so no reasonable way to get diamond. I’ll roll the 25k over to next year and will get it next year. I had a 3 month window where I wasn’t traveling this year so between credit card MQMs and actual travel I’ll get it.
    I get upgraded quite a bit at platinum - just rarely going in or out of Atl/MSP.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. hayes131

hayes131 Well-Known Member

Reward flights (using miles) does not qualify for MQM’s

cpettit and bfkidd like this.
  11. bfkidd

bfkidd Well-Known Member

This close to the end of the year, rollover is probably the best bet.

I was running way short one year but did planning in early November. Ended up flying first class to Maui this week actually as it was the cheapest deal since in between the holidays. Got 150% of the miles flown, kept my status, and got a sweet vacation out of it.

Platinum used to be automatic for upgrades but those days are long gone. I'd take the head start to next year with 15k miles in the bank.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. jdavis6446

jdavis6446 Well-Known Member

You need to check, but I do not think you get miles credit if you use miles to pay for the flight.

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

Gotcha!

Gonna let this one pass. Thanks for the helps

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Its MQD that they give you a smaller percentage of.

For MQM they take your fare class and distance and do some math and its 100%, 150%, 200% based on carrier and fare class. So for a fare that classes out as a J (business class) but is cheap you can really make out on MQM. Guys report getting 8-10-15K MQM on a partner flight whereas on DL it would be like 50% to 75% of that.

Phl218 likes this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

gotta look into that for next year.
    my only worry is that AF and KLM are not really cheaper for the destinations i'm looking into. and since Flying Blue is still switching to my account with them despite me booking through delta, they snatch my miles...

had that happen last year on a nice leg to GVA.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Sometimes you get those rare bumps from left field though. I'm flying back from Vegas tomorrow afternoon to EWR and connecting through IAH, a major United hub, just checked in online and got the bump on the second leg w/ Gold status. Was surprised to see that one.

17. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I’m in the same spot. Going to Cali next week which will put me just over 100k for the year. I should be able to hit diamond next year if I travel the same amount. Flying to Seychelles on purchased tickets in March so that should help!

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

My experience has been the same as what's already been said. I was gold last year, platinum this year. I don't think I get upgraded that much more often. Pretty sure you have to be diamond to really count on it.

Besides I don't know how much reason there is to upgrades. I flew with a friend last week who is a gold medallion. There were four open seats in first from people who didn't make the flight. He got upgraded, I didn't. I kind of wanted to whine about it but I'm not a baby.

Phl218 likes this.
  19. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I was Diamond several years in a row before they changed the credit card mileage waiver from $25k spend to $250k. Even Diamond did not get me to where I could count on the upgrades. Fare class seems to make a bigger difference than anything else.

motion and Phl218 like this.
  20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

That's my story too man. Now a free agent in the back of the bus :)

crashman likes this.