1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mike Wells RIP

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by CharlieY, Jul 9, 2018.

1. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Holy Cow...can anyone that was there provide any details?:(

What a great guy. Last time I saw him was at Roebling earlier this year and he said he couldn't believe his retirement to Fl and travelling back to Lex every once in awhile was working out so well.....I believe an exact quote was "Livin the Dream Charlie!!!"

I heard he actually finished and scored points????

Any info appreciated. I know there is probably info out there (facebook, etc) but I just never use it.

What a bummer, but in another sense, I'd bet if most of us could choose a way to go.....

Thanx anyone with info.

RIP Mike. I always enjoyed your company, and the motor work you helped me with many times. You will be missed sir. I hope you and Wayne are enjoying a long awaited cold one!

VFR#52 likes this.
  2. bj

bj Well-Known Member

The information we got at the track was a probable heart attack as he started the white flag lap. Very sad. RIP Mike.

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Very sorry about yalls friend,but as mentioned what a way for any of us to go! RIP Racer!

bj likes this.
  4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Damn prayers for all.....

5. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I don't normally post in threads like this, preferring to keep my thoughts to myself, this time I'll make an exception. Mike was one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet, probably my closest friend in the racing community but there are others who will find his loss even harder. I'll always be grateful for the time he spent helping me, doing engine work for me and most of all, the evenings we spent at the track with a beer telling stories and believe me, Mike had some great ones. He will be greatly missed.

Hate McDead and VFR#52 like this.
  6. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Don't know for sure but on FB it sounds like the heart attack is what caused his death and the subsequent crash did not. RIP Mike.

7. Steve 976

Steve 976 Well-Known Member

I heard about this on Saturday. RIP my good friend.
    I don’t know how many days I spent at his shop ,with him at the track, or just sitting around swapping stories and drinking beer.

To say I will miss him is a huge understatement.

8. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

I know a little.
    I was on the race track battling for first with Francis Ganance in the 350GP race. I had just passed for the lead into turn #1 when I saw Mike and his bike on the grass on the inside of turn #1. I couldn't tell who it was as we were under speed going through there. The bike was on top of him and there wasn't any movement. I did see the grass all chewed up and wondered how anyone could crash on the inside of the turn. Of course, the race was quickly red flagged. A friend and fellow competitor, Robbie Roberts, was observing the race near the crash and immediately hopped the fence to pull the bike off of Mike. Apparently the crash was quite a distance from the corner workers so Robbie made a quick decision to help. He said that Mike was not responsive. I had hear from someone or another that Mike was slumped over the bike as he crossed the start/finish line. I also heard from someone or another that Mike never regained consciousness. Mike and I usually connect at the race track with a brief conversation. He rode his scooter over to my pits earlier in the day and we talked about his retirement to Florida with the occasional trip back to Lexington to manage his motorbike shop. He told me that this arrangement was working out well for him. When I found out who had crashed, I immediately went over to his garage but his family members were already on their way to the hospital. I was saddened for the week end. And even though I kept hearing that Mike died doing what he loved, that concept doesn't take much of the edge of his loss.

rcarson15, CharlieY and Kyle Brosius like this.
  9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Damn... never met him I don’t think but I pray for his family and all of you that shared the good memories...

10. VintageRacerRoy

VintageRacerRoy Well-Known Member

Mike is one of the good guys. I never observed him mad or upset, just was happy to be around the track and the bikes he loved. Several years ago, I was able to stop at his shop and take a tour with him. A great experience, and memory. God Speed Mike!

11. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Thanx Doc.....and to all who have replied with info and thoughts.

Hate, thats the kind of info I was asking about. I was struggling absorbing the whole deal, and had a thousand questions running thru my mind....mostly because I liked Mike so much. I wondered about a "ghost rider" situation (even if thats the proper term to use?)....???... how bad was the crash...???...was there another racer in close proximity when it actually happened...???...I was hoping he didnt suffer...my mind was racing (pun intended) with sorrow. Being an ex-cornerworker, I wondered about the scene when the first person arrived (Thanx Robbie Roberts for the action)....my mind was stunned and racing at the same time. Like you Doc, I'm struggling with the "doing what he loved", which is true, but I'm chewing on that. He's still gone.

Thanx Robin and Steve...I too remember some good times in the KWC pit, just not as often as you guys...I'm recalling one of the recent times where I chased sir-bump-alot out of his chair as I reacted to a sarcastic quip of some sort....good times for sure.....Upchurch, I miss ya man! Hey, at least I still show up at the trackevery once in awhile:rolleyes:

I hope the EX is going OK BJ......give Bucky a friendly jab in the ribs or something for me. Hope his new gig is going well.

Roy Chapman....after 2.5 yrs working for the USN in Jax, I've moved back home to ATL....we need to get together soon my friend.

I'll never forget Mike, and the image in my memory goes something like this....Standing in his pit at Roebling, leathers half way off, glowing, literally glowing, as he says "Livin the Dream Charlie!!!".

RIP My friend:(

Thanx all.

12. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Shocked and disappointed while at the same time envious. The article you linked to Charlie stated like this "As for Wells, while his death is undoubtedly tragic he died doing something he loved. Would that we were all so lucky." I expressed the same sentiments while explaining to the Atlanta Norton owners about Mike's eternal lap. Cowboys hope to die with their boots on, and this racer would like to know that they had to pull my leathers off my cold dead body. Ride forever Mike. RIP (Ride In Peace).