1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Midwest frame straighteners

Discussion in 'Tech' started by sharky nrk, Jul 24, 2013.

1. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Anyone have a place in the midwest they recommend for having a bike's frame straightened?

I purchased a bike from someone who claimed no frame damage or issues and low and behold, looks like the steering stem is tweaked. I put the bike on the triple tree stand and it will not sit level on the pin (stand pivots and moves to one side to compensate and it visibly doesn't look right after pulling the forks and brackets)

2. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

3. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

Not sure of anyone in your immediate area that can measure or straighten the frame. 35 Motorsports can straighten triples and forks. As far as frames go....I recommend GMD Atlanta, they are the closest that I know of for you and Kent has been straightening frames for a long time.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow, you would think someone in Indianapolis would do it or the Chicagoland area.

5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Mat Drucker/MDR14 (here)/mdracingstp.com

6. ruckusracing

There use to be a shop...... 4&6 cycle? But that was awhile ago. Not sure if they still exist.
    Went to the mdracingstp site. It looks kinda like a Computrack machine, but a little different. Anyway, there is your answer.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  7. sharky nrk

Maybe a dumb question, regular body shops can't do this can they? Just a bit of a drive down to MDracingstp

8. ruckusracing

If it is the frame then, no sir, unless they have a frame jig for a motorcycle. You don't have to use a Computrack system or one of the others, but it is way faster to measure with the Computrack and see what is wrong and then tear the chassis down to place in jig, if it needs to go in jig.
    I don't know the system (I know it isn't Computrack)that the place in Il, is using...so I can't comment on their process. But for us, if the bike needs to go in the jig, it needs to be a rolling chassis, all bodywork, exhaust, radiator, airbox, injectors, etc need to come off. For the Jig, basically front end (brakes and clip-ons can stay), engine, and rear swing arm and wheel is what is needed. To measure the bike just the upper and lower fairing and sometimes the front fender have to come off

9. ruckusracing

Reuben @ 35 motorsports can fix triple clamps and forks (we use a press), but not the frame.

10. sharky nrk

I have the thing stripped down all the way to a bare frame already now (did it last couple of days)

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Sharky,

Call your guy and find out what he needs, but the guy I used Mackie Welding, who does a great job, wanted the motor still in it, as well as the swing arm and rear wheel. The front end, radiator, pipe, and bodywork were removed.

EDIT: Looks like Rukus also required roughly the same stuff removed.

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

FWIW, Ron Piazza at Frame Straight Systems is the man. It's worth shipping stuff to him.