1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid-Sized SUVs

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Sep 18, 2020.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Thinking of retiring the Audi A5 for something that doesn't ride like a go-kart and can carry my sea kayaks. At 80K miles, my mechanic also told me to prep the credit card for what he tends to see from now to 100K on those cars. The wifey has a new gen Toyota 4Runner Ltd. Thought was get something a bit smaller for when she drives (She came from a previous gen 4Runner, but with the re-dos, they moved everything up a size. The old 4Runner is the size of the new Highlander now.......). I hate the front seats on the 4Runner and the nav. Come on, engineers, if someone is big enough in the front seat to trip the seat belt warning, the nav can be operational when moving.......So,I might move to the 4Runner and check on doing better seats, or we'll just use the new vehicle as primary and keep the 4Runner for hauling, towing, having more than 2 people with us, etc.

Looking at:
    2020/2021 Toyota Rav4 (now that they actually look masculine versus previous look)
    new Chevy Blazer
    Lincoln Aviator
    Kia Telluride
    ???

I would prefer something with a flatter roofline, versus curved and sloped down like an overbred German Shepard.

Ruled out GMC Acadia, VW Atlas and anything Land Rover, due to friends that had horrid reliability experiences. Mazda is meh in styling, as is Acura. Having three Audis now, I think I am done. Turbo and electrical issues have exhausted me. The Toyota Highlander still looks like a jacked-up mini-van.

Checked out the reviews by friend of the community, Eric "The Duke" Tryko. Other YouTube reviews.....etc, etc.

Want to stay in the $45,000-$55,000 range. Something a bit sporty, with most of the luxury items (blind spot, adaptive cruise, parking cameras, leather, heated seats, tow package, AWD).

Any feedback?

2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Porsche Macan

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Kinda in the same boat and I'm looking at the Toyota Highlander (or was, haven't checked out the redesign yet), the Exploder, the Telluride, the Aviator (although this is pricey) and potentially the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    I ruled out the Mazda (even though I still love my CX9, not getting rid of it until it dies) because of no 6 cylinder. The Q7 is just too much cash with the 3.0 and the GMCs because I just don't like them.

I'd say check out the Q5 but you already know what you're getting with that. I have one but never drive it, just too much shit to deal with it and I just want to turn the key, throw whatever I'm driving into go and be off.

DrA5 likes this.
  4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Honda Pilot/Passport. End thread.

ducnut likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Love my Honda Pilot. Got a 14’ canoe on the roof of it as we speak, 2” receiver with 7-pin RV plug, 4WD, rear seat dvd screen, 8-passenger seating, and not a single concern about the 250k on the ticker.

cha0s#242 and ducnut like this.
  6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Hyundai Santa Fe.

7. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

GX460?

borislav and cpettit like this.
  8. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Yeah Lexus was on our short list too. I kept saying with Toyota and Lexus topping the reliability charts, why go anywhere other than either of those two. I just can't get past the fugly hourglass grill though on the new Lexuses......Lexi........

9. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

For sure the grill is terrible. Some colors hide it more though. I’ve also seen an off-road style bumper on them that trims off part of the lower bumper that looks bad ass on them too. I’ve been thinking of picking up a used one this winter so I’ve been doing a bit of research on them. Seem like super reliable trucks for sure. I’ve yet to drive one though.

10. Greg ZX6R

Greg ZX6R Well-Known Member

Ridgeline (longer Pilot with a bed and trunk..)

cha0s#242 likes this.
  11. zook131

zook131 Well-Known Member

The wife is brand loyal to Honda, so Pilot, MDX were at the top of the list. There was Q7 & the CX-9 because we needed 3 rows. After driving many models except the Audi, wife didn't like it, we settled on the MDX. Could have gotten a NEW pilot for the same price but went with a used MDX because the interior seemed to be more refined...and that's what she wanted. Got a certified unit & she is happy.

12. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Pretty much all reviews I've seen on the new Kia Telluride have been overwhelmingly positive. Sister Palisade is also a great scoot.

Doug Demuro has a good review of the Hyundai on youtube.

DrA5 likes this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I listen to a radio show on the weekends called Carpro. They said the Telluride/Palisade is so nice, that he feels like they are underpriced by about 5-10K.

younglion likes this.
  14. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

That's the deal with about every Korean car.

15. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

Don't know if they are big enough for what you want but Mercedes makes some neat SUVs and Mercedes vehicles depreciate so quickly from new that you might find a really good deal on a barely-used one.

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If you do that go used and or CPO. Second fastest depreciating vehicle in their lineup.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Tell him to shut up. Nothing in todays markets are under priced.

18. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Genesis gv80

cha0s#242 likes this.
  19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Just got a '20 Jeep Grand Cherokee for the wife. Pretty decent for a mid size, handles well. I'll let you know in a year or 2 if there's any regerts.

20. They are boring SUV’s, they feel soul less.