1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid-Ohio VMD

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by fastedyamaha, Feb 17, 2018.

1. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Are there any license restrictions for this weekend? For example, I’ve raced at Nelson’s for years with the local organization but would be getting a license for this weekend with ahrma for the first time. TIA!

2. Rich Graver

Rich Graver Well-Known Member

Ed, Your going to need a current WERA license and an AMA membership.

3. fastedyamaha

Thanks Rich! Trying to decide if my gs would be competitive or if I should race my TLR instead...what’s your advice?

4. Rich Graver

Rich Graver Well-Known Member

The TLR would have to be a fun ride!

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doesn't have to be a WERA license but you do need a current race license with someone. Mini orgs don't count.

6. fastedyamaha

How strict do the enforce the rules? I found a killer deal on some gsxr forks but the next gen2 class forbids radial brake calipers...couldn’t find any specific rules for the battle of twins classes.

7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I think that would make you a cheater if it is against the rules.

8. fastedyamaha

The question isn’t can I “cheat” and get away with it...the question is, would they let you race like that and just dq you after the fact? I have no illusion of being fast enough to win or even podium in these races, I just want to partake in the experience.

9. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

Next Gen is an AHRMA class. Mid Ohio is run by WERA. I have never heard of a protest before the race but I'm guessing it has or could happen. I think unless you are up front no one will care. AHRMA people tend to protest these things no matter where you finish.

EBoz ?

10. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

What bike? Wouldn't be a problem for modern super bike classes.

11. fastedyamaha

12. JBall

Radial brakes should be good for V8 and heavyweight twins Superbike where the TL will run (A superbike also for another class).

13. fastedyamaha

The problem is that under the AHRMA rule book for Next Gen2, radial calipers are explicitly forbidden. For Sound of Thunder, Battle of Twins, and Formula Thunder, nothing is explicitly stated as being illegal, only that "front and rear brakes should be efficient". So my dilemma is do I build the front end for everything but this one class and not worry about it if I run the Next Gen2 class? Putting this front end on would save somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 pounds of weight over the stock set up, plus it has an Ohlins Cartridge kit in it vs the race tech springs I currentyl have. I also ride the bike on the street so does it make sense to make it the best I can for the 95% of the time it will be on the track and the street?

14. JBall

Are you going to run Ahrma races somewhere else? VMD is not an Ahrma event.

15. fastedyamaha

Not in my current plans to do so...I thought it was an ahrma event that WERA ran.

16. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

VMD is a stand alone 2 day event. WERA/AMA.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We enforce the rules. The rules for the HW Twins classes are the ones in our rulebook - no clue what nex gen 2 rules are so can't help you there. HW Twins Superbike would allow the other forks no problem.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

AHRMA and WERA do the same thing but not the same weekend. We run VMD for the AMA along with all of our own races. AHRMA does their own events.

For VMD the classes and rules for them follow our rulebook.

19. fastedyamaha

I get that and fully support it. My post was in the stance that I knew it was illegal and was just looking for the fun of the experience, akin to back in the day when people would run pipes in C Production which expressly forbid that. There's no way that me putting radial calipers on my TLR was going to make me suddenly fast enough to win the race when all I wanted to do was go out and have some fun at Mid-Ohio. I'd much rather race at Pitt Race since I have raced safely on that track in the rain vs trying to race at Mid-Ohio in the rain.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Up to you really, you could run HWT SS and see how it goes. Personally I don't do the cheating thing no matter how fast anyone is or isn't or if it makes a true difference in the race. But that's me, plenty of people are cool with it.

Harry V. III likes this.