1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid Ohio VMD thoughts

Discussion in 'General' started by dobr24, Jul 8, 2019.

1. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

So I just got home from Mid O and wanted to post up some quick thoughts.

First and foremost a big thank you to Evelyn and Sean and all the WERA folks that worked hard to put on a good event even in the worst of possible circumstances. I know this weekend was difficult to say the least but you were all extremely professional and did everything that could be done to try and salvage some kind of event.

It was great after a two year break due to strange circumstances to see all my WERA friends and make some new ones again. The racer community never ceases to amaze me with the camaraderie and spirit that it promotes. Thanks for folks help in trying to get my Ducati running. I swear someday I will actually ride it. Ducati Indy and Detroit both helped me out by answering my questions about the brakes and coolant issues I had. Folks also helped in our pit when one of our racers was caught out by the slick sealer by loaning us a front stand with no questions asked. You truly couldn't ask for a better community of people to have around you when things go wrong.

I have ridden Mid Ohio for quite a few years and I can honestly say that due to its Jeckyll/Hyde complex as soon as the least bit of rain falls that I won't be going to anymore races held there. I know that in one race I 7 riders were caught out by what was described to me by one of the unlucky as "3 drops of rain on my visor and I went down." This is unacceptable for a track. You cannot promote yourself as hosting world class event but have a track that is unrideable in any but perfect conditions. Rain tires make no difference. The AMA needs to move this event until a repave is done. How can you hold the Road Race National Championships without racing due to track conditions? Quit doing other repairs and fix the damn track. No racer gives a hoot about the condition of the toilets of the track is not acceptable. I understand that a large incentive is Mid O donates all the proceeds to the AMA and that there are numerous other events taking place like off road and flat track racing but honestly we are the main attraction along with the swap meet. We were told that a repave would be finished in the next 18 months but that means that likely next years VMD will be on the same paving. Not for me and that pains me because in the past this has been one of the highlights of my year.

As for everything that happened outside of the racetrack and paddock area I feel that I almost need to apologize to anyone who came expecting anything more than a drunkfest kegger in muddy shithole. Not everyone there was from Ohio bit I am quite sure that most attendees were and I am frankly ashamed of their behavior. I felt like I was witnessing a frat party for the masses in its worst conditions. I get that people like to let loose but that was ridiculous. The bathrooms were disgusting. Women in the mens showers even though there were young children in the same area? God forbid the reaction if men went into a womens shower room! The drinking and driving was out of control. What is it going to take before an organization that promotes safety and responsible actions looks at one of their own premier events and starts demanding the same behavior there? I understand wanting to cut loose a little bit but that was frankly ridiculous. Truly though as long as they stay out of the pit area I don't care. Which takes me to my last issue.

The pits were way too open. I saw every sort of person driving through them at all hours of the night and day. I have never felt nervous about leaving anything out in the pits at VMD. This year I just had an uneasy feeling and locked my trailer when I wasn't able to keep a direct eye on it. I was told that one of the racers had their Grom stolen while we were all at the riders meeting and the pit bikes were all parked together. I do not think they found the stolen Grom and whoever did it needs to be strung up. Thieves suck! There needs to be more security. In the past one of the cool things about VMD has been the opportunity to show folks who were not familiar with road racing the pits and the activity that goes along with it so long as they stayed out of the way. This year I saw people either walking or riding bikes or 4 wheelers cutting off or blocking racers trying to get to last calls or coming in off a hot track. Again IMHO totally unacceptable. I also saw a few very questionable people walking between trailers multiple times. Once it was my trailer so I stared at the guy until he saw me at which time I made it very clear that he was being watched. He took off pretty quick so I dont think he was just being curious. Maybe its time to give racers, friends and family a wrist band and only allow them into the pits during racing periods. There are only three ways to get in to the paddock so securing it shouldn't be too hard.

I hope that all the racers who had the misfortune of being caught out by the weather recover and can get their machinery back together to come back to the track soon!

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I came damn close to going but I didn't have my bike yet and I saw the forecast...that was enough to makes me say no thanks. I only raced there once a few years ago and even then the word was if it rains, leave. I don't mind wet racing at all but all of the racers echo exactly what you're saying.

As far as the partying, I know it well as the Louisville crew is famous for their scene. The AMA even wrote an article about them last year. I've been part of it and yes, it's true debauchery...but I love it! Yet I'll agree 100% on limiting access to the pit areas simply due to the huge amount of people at this event. If they can't be policed then keep em out.

3. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

Thanks for the write up Chris...

I learned the track conditions the hard way by crashing out on a warm up lap... I got a warning under the Honda bridge and backed off... but clearly not enough as I went on an Apollo mission right before thunder valley...

Lesson one, don’t ride even if it barely sprinkled; lesson two, don’t use new tires if conditions aren’t perfect...

I’ll be back after a repave... and hope whoever took that Grom gets a good dose of Karma. It sucks that I caught the dude out of corner of my eye as I cooked breakfast, but didn’t think of anything as I assumed it was a racer leaving the meeting...

Rising Sun likes this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I've been a long time "it's not that bad" guy, but now...
    It's a great event, great track layout and only 75 miles from home. Pretty sure my last win there was in the rain.
    Saturday morning practice was the first time I experienced traction that poor on a totally dry track. Round 2 (group 5) was better but still crap.
    Got one race in before the shut down (race 5). I felt like I rode well but my lap times were 6 seconds off my best there on a pretty much identical bike. The guys at the front were also a good 5-6 seconds slower than the fast guys like 10 years ago (and we all thought the surface sucked then!)

5. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

at first glance here are the fastest LWT lap times over the last few years. conditions may very
    2015 1:39.2
    2016 1:38.2
    2017 1:39.2
    2018 1:38.1
    2019 1:39.8

6. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I was there and this was my first VMD. I didn't witness any behavior that caused me any alarm and I was there camping from Thursday - Sunday, but I'll admit my standards are a little lower. I was pretty happy to see so many people, and especially younger people, on two wheels as it gives me some hope for the future. Other than the mud, the track did a pretty good job of keeping things picked up as far as I could see. They may want to set up their hose/cleanup in a different area as the paved road was turned into a mud bog. I will admit that it did seem that the majority did seem to be there for the partying and the dirt trails, as evidenced by the traffic in front of our campsite.

I enjoyed the access to the paddock and meeting some of you, but I did think the access seemed a little open and I don't think you want to close it off entirely, but perhaps not allowing it to be a pass through from one side of the track to the other would be a good start. Of course, we also knew enough to stay the hell out of the way in an active paddock.

I enjoyed the racing and thanks to everyone who helped make it possible.

Rising Sun, BigAl8295 and TLR67 like this.
  7. Jongo

Jongo Well-Known Member

If you can ride Grattan the way you did in a monsoon there should be no issues riding Mid-OH in the dry. Just sayin'.

Same wiggles as always this year.

8. Tristan

What can I say- I like it wet and loose! Dry and greasy, not as much.

9. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Except when it’s raining you know that traction is reduced and you ride accordingly...

10. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I had a great time. Would of loved for the weather to not be temperamental, and cause issues... but this is a known risk going to Mid-Ohio.

I'll be back next year. Bring on the chaos.

rcarson15, fastedyamaha and jksoft like this.
  11. Tristan

Yeah, winning adds a rosy tint to ones glasses :D

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The madness is part of the fun. Yes there is a high amount of traffic in the paddock but it is quiet enough to camp and sleep there unlike some other parts of the property :D

Anyone know who the rider was that lost the Grom? I talked to him Sunday morning but not after that, still hoping it was grabbed accidentally or as a joke not truly stolen.

Mother nature beat the hell out of us. It was one of the tougher events I've worked on that score for sure. Going into it exhausted didn't help either but it's part of the fun or so I've heard. Still love the event but not happy with the facility right now.

Rising Sun likes this.
  13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

@maslov
    Ryan Pritt #65

14. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

That's the reason I stopped going, it can be a bit of a lottery whether you get to race or not.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

This was worse than normal. Stupid ass weather forecast had Sunday being gorgeous - until Sunday... There were some other background issues as well that just put us at running out of time :(

While I'm thinking about it - thank you to everyone involved. Had some racers step up and help us out when we had some officials not be able to make it last minute. Had our normal officials work their asses off. Even have a grandson who is getting pretty good at this officiating thing :D Had a lot of great racers come out to play and work with us through the issues thrown at us by mother nature, that truly does make our lives easier. VMD is big enough that it is never easy but it's a hell of lot better when you've got great people on and off the track. Thank you all for being a part of it.

16. Tristan

The event overall is cool enough to make it worthwhile... I would have stuck around but had only paid for Saturday tickets. My racing budget is focused mainly on Endurance, but if I have the funds next year I'll plan to do the 3 days there- shitty surface or not.

Jongo and JJJerry like this.
  17. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I feel
    I feel for you guys and you did a damn good job considering the hand that you were dealt. The AMA just needs to step up as does the track IMHO. A few simple improvements could make it a more than a frat party again. Man I am turning into a grumpy old SOB!

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The AMA kicked ass on our end of things. I was thinking about paddock security a bit this year and I'm sure we can work out something to cut down on traffic through there. Remind me again before the event next year and I'll see what I can do :D

Mainly thinking close the gate into the middle paddock from the swap meet side of things and close off the road running behind tech over at the water spigot where everyone was de-mudding. Leave only the one by the bridge open.

It'd be a longer trip to the showers but I think worth it.

19. Tristan

I'll add kudos for the staff- my timing probably helped, but I have NEVER experienced an easier and faster registration and tech than I did Saturday morning! I was done before the wife could walk to the "good" bathrooms and back...

20. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

That is correct. Last time I saw him he said the Yosh pipe had scratches on it if someone was to see it. Went to check on him and his racing before I left, but he was packed up and long gone... assuming that the bike was never found...