1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Michelin Power One vs Michelin Power Race

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Carnage R1, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Carnage R1

Carnage R1 Well-Known Member

First year I'm going to run Michelin's in races. What are the differences between the One and Race?

I know the Race have been replaced by the Ones, but how did the Race hold up during races? Who ran them this year? Is it even worth it to run the Race anymore since the One's have come out?

I guess the One's are dual compound and only come in soft/medium/soft or???? What psi do you recommend running them at?

Any knowledge is greatly appreciated :)

2. the muffin man

the muffin man certified hymen inspector

i didnt race, but i ran PR in several track days and was impressed with warm-up and durability. i ran a couple days without warmers, and a couple with, got about 4 days total between barber and tally. im not very fast, but i do ride a 1000cc so tire wear was good for that type of bike. hope that helps.

3. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

The ONES are a BIG improvement over the PR series. No comparison in my book. Especially the front. I raced them all last season.

4. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

v front
    b rear, you can run the c rear but it will not provide as much grip

30 22 cold

5. Carnage R1

I guess the race and ones both have a V front and both come in B & C????

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

PR good.. Power1 WAY better.
    may all your prayers be answered!

INFO ON NEW Power 1 tires...
    POWER 1 tires (info)
    FRONTS
    all the DOT 17" fronts are MULTI compound and run 30psi cold. (just like the C). There are three (3) fronts to choose from. THe A and the B are SLIGHTLY more rounded but IS trianguilated. the V, the most triangulated or pointed of the 3 tires. A and B are slightly less triangulated than the old C front but apparently nearly exact same height. According to Michelin, the A and B would be the most popular tires and are 5 ply tires.

A- 9.48lbs, 605.4mm diameter and is the softer compound, used for when ambient temps are below 68F.
    compounds would be 4/8/4 with the 4 (softer) would be the entire contact patch at full lean.
    B- 9.48lbs, 605.4mm , slightly harder than the A, and used when temps are above 68F.
    compounds would be 5/8/5 with the 5 slightly firmer than the 4.
    V- 9.92lbs, 606mm, however is 4 ply (not 5 like A and B), and is more triangulated almost "pointed" with a 5/8/5 compound.

REAR TIRES.
    -all the180/55 are 639.5mm in diameter, 13.73lbs, are 4 ply and multi compund (35% of edges is softer so 35%/30mid%/35%)
    -all the 190/55 are 652.8mm tall. 14.77lbs, 4 ply and multi compound.
    -the "A " tire edges of the 180 and 190's would be a "4" (soft) compound edge
    - the "B" edges being "5" (not as soft as 4),
    -THe "C" REAR will be an endurance type tire with a "6" type edge
    -ALL the middles of all the tires being a "9" compound (hardest).

TIRE WARMERS: as per Michelin, for COMPETITION (not street tires) put warmers at 176F for 30-40 min before use for FRONT AND REARS. DO NOT leave on for more than 90 minutes ever. If guys find something that works better please let us know.

WEAR: when the rain sipes are gone the tires are designed to STILL WORK ! so dont rush to change when the rain sipes are gone. The tires are designed to loose the rain sipes to become a "slick".

There WILL be NEW series power1 150 and 160 rears, as well as 110 fronts but are not here yet. There will only be an A and B but front and rear are multi compound.
    The slicks are out right now! the old 46a slick 17" front is still available but will be labled "Power1" like the DOT tires. NEW 16.5" - 3 choices front and rear like the DOT line. MULTI COMPOUND (still hard middle, but one side is softer than the other, softer side has a "-" and harder side has "+"

Track day/sport tire are all 3 ply and are multi compound front AND rears. Front is 4/8/4 and the rear is 3/7/3..so may get too hot with fast riders. There is less area of soft sides on these, 75% of the middle is 7 or hard, with only 12.5% on each side being the "3" or softer compound.

7. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

Thanks for the write up, great info.

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

I aim to please. :up:

9. Carnage R1

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

The One's are definitely better tires than the PR.

11. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

race compounds were PRC front and PR3/d and PR5/E the D was softer and E harder
    Not sure if the 3 or 5 is still available, that was the previous name before the D/E