1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mechanical Types

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

That is like an episode of the Trailer Park Boys

2. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Solution is simple, Metalhead.

Tools needed:
    • Autohammer
    • Roll of duck tape
    • Cordless drill
    • Drywall screw
    • Roll of twine
    • Sixxer of Pabst
    Directions: Open a Pabst and take a big ol' swallow or two. Use the duck tape to secure the autohammer under the truck in a position to bang the f@ck out of the starter. Finish the first Pabst and start the 2nd. Drill a hole through the floorboard while finishing the 2nd Pabst. Tie one end of the twine to the trigger on the autohammer. Drink another Pabst. Feed the other end up through the hole you made in the floorboard. Take a break and have another Pabst. Climb into the cab and sit in the driver's seat. Have a Pabst and think what it would be like to have one of these instead of being stuck in that trailer with flat dry-rotted tires. Put a Phillips screwdriver bit into the cordless drill and use it to drive the drywall screw into a convenient place on the dashboard. Tie the other end of the twine to the screw so Mongo can pull on it while turning the key. Finish it up by covering the screw head with a touch of duck tape to give it a nice, clean look. If there's any beer left drank it up.

The end.

gpz11 likes this.
  3. I think more than a six pack is necessary to do this correctly.

4. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Lol

5. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

Most likely starter. Had similar issue on my peterbilt recently. After 3rd time of having to whack it with a hammer I didn't shut it off for several days till back to the home shop.

If selonoid you won't hear it try to engage.

Another tip watch voltage Gage when you turn key. If it drops most likely starter burnt out.

6. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Another quick and dirty check;

Try cranking it over for 5 seconds or so then immediately check the temperature of the battery cables. Make sure you try to check them all, but be warned, they may be really hot. I’ve seen fires caused due to labored cranking of starters and high resistance in battery cables.

If they’re hot, check the connections at all of the ends and check each battery as well. If you can check each cell, even better.

Most likely it’s just the starter due to it attempting to crank after a hammer strike, but it won’t hurt to check the cables and batteries too.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thanks for all the input. Going to throw a starter in it and go from there.

Marid2apterbilt likes this.