1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meanwhile in Singapore

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by tony 340, Jul 9, 2010.

1. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This was on one of the Discovery/Nat Geo channels a couple weeks ago. Amazing engineering.

3. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Easy: inequality.

IMO what you see in these Coutnries today is no different than what we here in the US experience in the early part of the 20th Century. And no different than the beginning of time. There is always a civilization somewhere taking it up a notch.

Barons and cheap labor go a long way.

Only differnce is technology.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Building codes, insurance cost, labor costs, and yes, protecting the stupid. Some of our most notable architects wouldn't be able to permit some of their most famous works these days.

5. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Are you paying attention?

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'm all out of attention. Will you take an IOU?

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Don't forget the blessed unions..........

I cant recall ever seeing a building built in my lifetime that was completely awe inspiring like the many 100+ year old buildings I've seen over the yrs.

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Tony,

The permits here would take a few but you could do it. Per my previous statement, this type of construction was evident in the US in the early part of the 20th century.

This is the true art of Capitalism.

As XFBO mentioned the Unions are an achor in development.

China is a place where pipelines get built overnight because the Government builds and does as it pleases.

Chinese are starting to unionize so even the areas where China has allowed Capitalism, you will see a slow down.

From Egypt to present, only the real rich without restriction can dream this big.

9. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Go to Wynn or Encore in Vegas.... it's uber cool.

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I am good. Looks like you need every bit.:up:

11. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

The only place in the USA you could build that and actually have it pay for itself is Las Vegas and that would be pushing it. There are no other locations that could support a hotel like that. The rest of our major cities are already "too mature" to support it.

12. Cool as grits. It rivals some of the engineering and building they're doing in Dubai !

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

That's pretty cool, but just looking at that pool made me queasy... not a fan of heights.

14. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

That thing is ugly...plain and simple. It looks like some cheesy set from a 1980's bad sci-fi movie.

15. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

It looks like a cruise ship landed on a hotel. Of course I think that's the goal which is silly.

16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Next design will be closer to 2000 sci-fi. The internet has increase the speed at which others catch up.

17. H8R

I hope so.....I'd like to Superman's Ice cave...complete with stripper pole.

18. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

hazard pay included? You have to fear for those nipples.

IIRC is there not some ice hotel somewhere?

19. H8R

I think in Iceland....well even if it isn't it should be Iceland...I mean it is called Iceland for pete's sake.

20. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010