1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mayweather vs. Mcgregor

Discussion in 'General' started by Putter, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

See for me, the fact that he's still boxing to this day (I see him fairly often) shows me he genuinely loves the sport. He's still hurting folks well past his prime and he's also training some badass future fighters.

That's GOAT status to me but I'm an admitted fanboy/friend.

JBraun likes this.
  2. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Is Holyfield in the discussion for GOAT? The level of competition he beat is staggering. That's the knock against Tyson, right?

3. Shutup.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I would like to point out that he knows where to find you even without a map and has anger control issues...:D

Robby-Bobby and Gorilla George like this.
  5. Not IMO.

Holyfield's work ethic, drive, and training regiment was off the charts. He was a great athlete, with arguably the best physique of all time (as far as boxers go). But he isn't in the boxing GOAT conversation (for me at least).

He would be in my "top 10" discussion, but would be somewhere in the 5-8 range, not GOAT.

But again, it's all opinion.

The only knock against Tyson was that he wasn't mentally "all there". He was (and still is) a loose cannon. He had so much personal drama going on at the time and should have never proceeded with that fight against Douglas. His head wasn't in it. But he did, and lost...and was never the same again.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    JBraun likes this.
  6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

GOAT - '73 and '94 Foreman, '74 Ali.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'll be landing in Vegas first thing in the morning the day after the fight.....I wonder which disgruntled fans they'll be more of in town :D :D :D

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No one who is local in Vegas likes Mayweather at all...

9. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

10. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

I still think it's funny people think mayweather will knock out Conor. When was the last time Conor got knocked out? When was the last time Floyd knocked anyone out?

Exactly.

It'll be a boring points fight with Conor chasing the whole time looking for a kill shot.. Floyd will dodge and weave and clench. Snooze.

We can only hope Conor's left hand lands clean in the first couple of rounds when it has power and Floyd goes down.

Anyone see the latest boxer to take a Conor left to the face? It's on YouTube :)

11. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

You guys realize that Floyd faught most his fights with 8 oz gloves. This only benefits both of them and really changes nothing.

12. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

And Conor has fought his fights with 4oz gloves... hell, he's also been hit with knees, elbows and kicks.

He's been hit harder with less padding than what he'll get with Floyd. I still say no chance Floyd knocks him out. Conor has a better chance at a knockout as that's what he does... landing that clean left is the issue.

13. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Diaz looped Connor pretty good later in their first fight (5th round IIRC). I keep seeing everyone talking about McGregor left hand to the head but Mayweather has made a career out of not getting hit by the best in his business and dishing out more than he gets.

If we are going to keep bringing up Malinaggis video that Dana White "leaked" we should also consider that a "sparring partner" isn't expected to beat the guy he's taking shots from, he's not looking to finish the training session. Also, keep in mind, Paulie just got off his couch and isn't even in fighting shape...

14. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

... at figure skating.

15. I don't think anyone will get knocked out. But McG isn't used to boxing against someone with the speed and accuracy of Mayweather. McG also isn't used to trying to hit a target that can move like Mayweather.

My prediction: Mayweather will dodge/counterpunch the whole time, while McG chases him looking for that one knockout punch (that will never come).

Mayweather wins by points based solely on the cumulative volume of punches landed over the course of the fight.

KrooklynSV likes this.
  16. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

True, and HIS business and FM's business are 2 different businesses.

17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I think you are right with that. Mayweather will just turn it in to a track meet and spend the whole fight avoiding and tapping. But one can always hope for something different.

18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Based on the payout, it would appear both businesses are good...

19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Paulie is a world class boxer, and is never out of shape. He's not in the final week of a camp like Conor is, but he's been training. It's very unusual to have one sparring partner go 12 rounds with a fighter in camp also. It's obvious that team McGregor did this to stir the pot.

Don't forget that Paulie was talking shit about Conor for months. He said multiple times that he could beat Conor with one arm tied behind his back. He also said that McGregor was disrespecting boxing and that he wanted to be the one to teach him a lesson.

How'd that go bro? :crackup:

20. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Not sure how much money he needed to be McGregor punching bag but sparring with someone you talked shit about seems like a dumbass move of epic proportions.

Gorilla George likes this.