1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mayweather vs. Mcgregor

Discussion in 'General' started by Putter, Jun 14, 2017.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Diaz doesn't bang with anywhere remotely close to Mayweather's power. He's accurate as hell and does cumulative damage but he doesn't hit hard at all.

2. IMO, there is a big difference between catching random shots from MMA fighters, and catching repeated shots from (arguably) the best boxer in history.

By no means am I saying McG has a glass jaw. But as it pertains to Mayweather, I think his mouth is writing checks his chin can't cash.

3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I just hope you guys are wrong. I just want to see Mayweather out cold. I find him to be one of the least likable guys in professional sports.

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Dude. If Conor starches him it might be the coolest thing to ever happen in sports.

Don't think it can happen, but a man can dream.

JBaucom, turbulence and Funkm05 like this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That was my opinion and dearest wish until last week. Then I saw a 30-minute program with lots of highlights of their promotional tour, among other things. I must confess that I knew nothing of McGregor before that. I'm not so sure anymore. Now, I'm hanging my hopes on the elusive double knockout.

6. Oh for sure. I would love to see McG knock his ass out. I just think it is highly unlikely.

I wish it would have been in the Octagon. But there is no way MW would have ever agreed to it.

7. They are both huge douchemissles.

But I have a feeling McG does it all for show, to make a spectacle of things and to get attention. He seems like one of those dudes that would do some silly shit in public, then when it is over would be like "that was some silly shit wasn't it?....but they ate it up".

I've always felt like MW was a complete douche, at his core, 24/7.

NemesisR6 and eggfooyoung like this.
  8. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree. Mayweather's brittle hands won't have the same impact as kicks to the face. Getting hit with a shin is like getting hit with a bat. Even if Mayweather hits him repeatedly, with the larger gloves it won't mean much. But, speculating this fight is half the fun.

turbulence likes this.
  9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Where I'm at with it.

10. I'm looking at it from a cumulative perspective.

There are some serious hard blows in MMA, coming from all kinds of body parts, that is for sure. But they are mixed in with grapples, take-downs, choke-holds, arm-bars, and laying on the mat for 1-2min at a time.

In the MMA they aren't constantly being punched in the face, non-stop, every second of every round.

I don't think anyone feels Mayweather is going to knock him out in the first round. But if McG doesn't land a lucky punch, he is going to either get knocked out late in the fight, or lose by points with his whole face swollen up like a basketball.

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but besides Mark Hunt, I've never seen someone eat a solid head kick and stay in the fight. Usually that's night-night.

12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I can't agree that McGregor is a douche. Yes, he's a character, but that kind of unbridled authentic confidence is pretty entertaining.

13. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Maybe someone said this already but this is like a great figure skater playing hockey against Gretzky.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I gotta admit that McGregor is not up there on my favorite athlete list either. But I think Çhäötï© might be on to something. There is a pretty decent chance McGregor might be just playing the part but the feeling I get from watching Money is that his is not an act.

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. bleacht

Yeah, but when was the last time Mayweather was constantly on the offensive? I honestly can remember. That's why he has the reputation he has as being boring and safe. He's more of a counter-puncher.

Just talking about the fight is getting me more excited for next Saturday. :clap:

16. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

May weather is a great boxer Elizabeth, but he's nowhere near the greatest.

You don't become the greatest by padding your record fighting people out of their prime.

Jones Jr is in another league

bleacht likes this.
  17. bleacht

Remember when he was Pretty Boy Floyd? I think it is an act to sell PPV. Well, except for being scum enough to beat his kid and wife.

18. The GOAT is all a matter of opinion (in any sport). I personally have always thought Roy Jones Jr was the 2nd baddest motherfucker to ever step in a ring (behind Tyson).

Loved watching that dude fight. He just embarrassed people.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Not even close. Amazing defense, all-time mechanics, but you don't get to be in the best-ever conversation without putting fighters away.

Roy Jones Jr was a monster. One of my favorites ever, but when he lost a step it was over quick. His fall from the top was hard to watch.

Gorilla George likes this.
  20. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I'd like to point out that you responded to Elizabeth. Nothing more

motoracer1100 likes this.