1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mavros Auction

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Sep 3, 2019.

1. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I've always wanted a Gyro, and I have no idea why other than to get that WTF look from people.

Dear self. Don't ruin your bank account looking at this list. ~Your smarter half.

2. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Yeah, been keeping an eye on it. I'm an hour away, own a truck, and have Friday and Saturday off.....

3. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Mmmmm. Muzzy Raptor.......

stk0308 and code3ryder like this.
  4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Many nice bikes available, but I don't need anymore stuff.

motion likes this.
  5. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

In the notes section of many of the bikes it says 'w/title', should we then assume that any that don't say that are being sold without a title? Wouldn't that make actually using any of those that have a potential for street use problematic?

6. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Hey if anyone here is planning on attending in person can you please get a hold of me? I'm registered to bid, I've used proxibid many times for work so I know how it should go down. I have a few bikes I want to place bids on but would greatly appreciate a Beeb members opinion and advice on the condition of each bike.

7. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

It’s not a raptor. It’s like a 2000 ZX-7 frame with a ZX-9 motor and a newer ZX-10 swing arm. Forks are off a newer Ducati and the swapped out the bottom fork tubes for non-radial brake calipers. I was told Mavros was going to race this Frankenstein bike in AHRMA next gen superbike II class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I'll be there then heading to NC then across to AR the following day. I think I'll have room for one, possibly two bikes in the van if needed.

seroj and Quicktoy like this.
  9. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

@Wingnut

How will Proxi work? No experience with them. Also, can you clarify the actual fees?

10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Buyers fee through proxibid is 13 percent

Add 3 for a credit card

Add tax unless you have a resale certificate

11. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

Damn
    Damn, that's 22.5% on final price?

12. 713

713 Well-Known Member

Most of his bikes are pieced together with the incorrect parts for the year and model. Be careful of what you are bidding on. Rumor has it that the desmodici cases have been welded due to an on track crash.

John Linder

13. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Yes. Plan accordingly.

14. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

That's pretty standard online auction pricing. It will only bite you one time; then you won't forget to factor it in.

I will say that it would be nice to have more detailed info on the bikes and more pictures. That is one of value adds the auction house should be providing for their fee as it can maximize the return on the sale.

15. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I noticed they put up a few more pictures of some of the bikes I was looking at. Doubt anyone really knows whats on all those bikes.

16. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

The guy had a real obsession with red bull didn't he? Seems like every modern race bike in his collection is covered in red bull stickers and shit.

17. Chonchito

Chonchito Active Member

In order to get top dollar for the bikes there should be more pictures and better descriptions. The bringatrailer auction site does a very good job of this. I was planning on bidding on a few bikes but looking at limited pictures and zooming in you can see that the “raptor” isn’t a raptor and other “Frankenstein” projects. It is what I would expect from his collection. Charlie was a trip, anyone that spent any time with him most likely has a Charlie story and knows about quite a few of the bikes.

I may bid on a few of them but bids will be cautious do to the lack of information. In my opinion the auction house should be doing a better job for the % and their responsibility to brings his heirs top dollar.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  18. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Proxi bidding sucks but if you cant make the physical auction it's your only chance.

Fees pile up fast.

I've seen items walk away from auction sites since there really is no guarantee after the hammer drops. You have to have a relationship with the auction house and RIP their handlers for any real help.

19. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

A lot of these bikes have stories behind them, for better or for worse. The Desmosedici was Jeff Puleo's bike that blew up during a street ride. Jeff went to war with Ducati but managed to have it rebuilt. The cases were welded vs. replaced.

The 565 was a legal one at one point, I raced him on it at Daytona. but then Charlie sent the engine back to Ben Probst for a rebuild, and it got sold to someone else without his knowledge. Charlie posted on here about it I believe. Now it's likely a 750 knowing Charlie.

Most of the Ducatis are built, almost all of the air cooled bikes were 1150cc + with big heads done by MotoCorse, all probably making over 120 HP. There is one exception, I believe he does have a legal 800 monster which he bought after the AHRMA protest drama hoping it would be torn down.

I don't know anything about the two strokes or any of the other bikes, but I do know most of his Ducatis, as I knew him for many years and raced against almost all of those bikes at one time or another.

The problem with Charlie is that he had multiple shops working on multiple things at once. For example, he built one of those 749s for ASRA Thunderbike, it was a nice build from MotoCorse making 125HP or so. About a year and half later, he brings it to MotoCorse to work on the quick shifter. They put it on the dyno and it's making 155 HP! He took it to someone else and they put in a 1053 kit!

This is why Jerry states on the website you are responsible to know what you are bidding on.

I would contact Seth Starnes if you are serious about bidding on one of these projects, he knows a lot of these bikes, as Charlie traveled with him alot in the later years of his career.

From what I understand, that TZ750 was Kenny Robert's championship winning bike, signed by Kenny. Probably going to be some items going for big bucks, and some major deals on some of the more unknown builds.

Phl218, j cal and jksoft like this.
  20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Oh and that R6 that he ran the 200 on was running away from my 143 HP 848 on the banking! Mavros you fucker!

Ra.Ge. Raptor and Phl218 like this.