1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maverick's meltdown

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Ive caught random comments here and there about MV doing some silly shit with the Yamaha; where/when did that happen?

I avoid the MotoGP threads because I like to catch up on all the races when I get back home. Ive got the MotoGP Pass, but I normally just watch the races. When watching the races, there is no real mention of any behavior or incident.

One weekend he is on the Yamaha, then one weekend he isn't on the grid, then he shows up on the Ape.

Was his meltdown on camera? Was it in one of the practice sessions? Where do I go to watch it?

2. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I didn’t catch it during the race but there’s an onboard video on YouTube that shows it.

3. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

here... towards the end of the video !

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

Cliff notes

he was not happy at Yamaha, revved the shit out of the engine in Austria for no reason at all. Team caught it on the data recording, let him sit it out the next weekend, then let him go.

Mav snatched up the open spot on the Aprilia where Dovi also has been testing before, morbidelli slipped up the ladder as deserved for a seat at Yamaha and Dovizioso filled in at Petronas

5. So it wasn’t caught on TV? If it was, I’d go watch that practice or superpole session to see what happened.

Is is Morbidelli injured? Is that why CC has been riding that bike (that will ultimately be Morbid’s bike).

6. If that’s how it went down, then fuck him.

If I was Ape or anyone else, I wouldn’t let him ride a damn thing.

If you don’t like how shit is going, then you be a man and confront people about it. If you don’t get the results, then you take the appropriate (legal, contractual, etc) steps.

You don’t act like a fucking child and destroy the machine.

Getting drunk before a race, calling someone an asshole, having a crash, etc…so be it. Shit happens.

But there is a ton of money and effort (by A LOT of people and companies) that goes into getting one of those bikes ready. To intentionally throw a temper tantrum like a damn child and ruin the machine? Fuck off with that shit.

mattys281-2 and sdg like this.
  7. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I’m not sure I’m buying into the Yamaha explanation that he was trying to blow up the motor by bouncing it off the rev limiter ...
    the limiter is designed to prevent this from happening. And after this came out I noticed when the riders ( all of them ) practice their starts after the free practice events . That is exactly what they do ... Bounce it off the rev limiter then release the clutch . Which appears to be as long as Mav was supposedly doing coming into pit lane and a time or two during the final laps of that race ... it doesn’t make any sense to me ...

edit: same as the start of the actual race .. bounce off rev limiter, release clutch and go ..

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Gorilla George likes this.
  8. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

It's not revving on the REV Limiter at a start but the lauch control that makes it sound like its boucing of the rev limiter... same as the pit control.

Not quite the same thing he did with is M1.

sdg, badmoon692008 and sheepofblue like this.
  9. Yes, but there is a difference. When Launch Control is engaged, the limiter is lowered.

The “Launch rev limit” is set where the bike makes maximum torque (not engine redline).

For example, on mine the engine redline might be 14-16k (depending on the bike). But the Launch rev limiter might be set at 8k-10k.

That way you are launching the bike at max torque.

For him to be trying to blow up the engine, he would have had to be doing it on the track, cool down/in lap, something like that.

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That's exactly what he did - he pulled the clutch in and just revved the ever loving piss out of it. There was some debate about what he was trying to do, but if memory serves he effectively admitted it and said he lost his cool (or something to that extent).

https://the-race.com/motogp/vinales-apologises-and-asks-for-yamahas-forgiveness/

upload_2021-9-20_9-6-27.png

Phl218 and ToofPic like this.
  11. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

He was intentionally trying to grenade the motor.
    His lap time's show it as did the telemetry.He was having a bitch fit

12. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Not likely but…. Is that just the story they all agreed to tell as a condition of him being able to jump right on the Aprilla and get back in the game.

13. Yeah, fuck him. That’s bullshit.

I’m all about confrontation and holding people accountable for shit. That’s partly why I’m good at my job (granted, it’s also why some people at my job don’t like me, but whatever).

So if someone is or isn’t doing something, then he needs to address it. Take that dude in the RV, lock the door, and get that shit straight.

But to intentionally (try to) ruin the machine? That’s a bitch move. He might as well went in the parking lot and started keying people’s cars.

Phl218 likes this.
  14. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Yeah no.

Limiter prevents you from overrev, there's still an immense amount of stress on the motor when you're revving it to the moon and it's only a matter of time until the pistons escape.

Phl218 likes this.
  15. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Not likely, wrong. Its was exactly like that. He pitched a fit, and admitted it, especially after video shows said fit. That’s unless you have some inside information that the rest of the world is not privy to.

ToofPic and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  16. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

He was completely being a baby and trying to thrash that motor. F'ing tool.

YamahaRick, Gorilla George and Phl218 like this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Find a thread for the next GP after it happened. It was discussed at length, with videos posted.

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Waaaaah...poor little rich international racer brat.

19. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Uhh... he pulled the clutch on the back straight and instead of shifting to 6th, he kept it in 5th and revved it to the moon. He was trying to blow the motor. How can you say 'not likely'??

20. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

He also didn't cross th4 finish line on that race. Pulled into the pits on the last lap, pinning the engine at redline as he coasted into the pits.