1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marquez 2nd arm surgery

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Aug 3, 2020.

1. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Maybe Marc has the maturity to be honest about this season, but who knows? Unlike any other rider in MotoGP, I think Marc is a genuine crazy person.

The people around him need to rein him in, if that's even possible.

This guy has at least 4 more years on the RCV. He could theoretically take 5 more titles in his career as long as his body doesn't break down first. Honda needs to take the wheels off his bike again and tell him not to come back until his humerus is a monocoque. They should send him a new hooker every day if they need to so he can work out his aggression.

Look, I like Dovi. He's fast as fuck and a brilliant technical rider. I don't think he'll ever be runner up in the championship again though. Not with the Yamahas working properly. He'll still win races, get podiums and be in the hunt, but I think he's gotten as close as he ever will.

Dovi is simply too rational and too clinical, he doesn't seem able to will himself into a win he has no business taking like Marc or the Valentino of yore.

Also, when he has a bad day he's in 6th. A healthy Marc on his very worst day gets a 3rd, but usually a 2nd.

It's no knock on Dovi. Marquez doesn't really seem to be overly concerned with living when he's on track. Even if Dovi and Marquez were completely equal in technical skills, Marc is usually going to beat him because Marc simply doesn't give a fuck.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  2. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

moto gp post said Ti plates showed stress and were not to par.... thicker plates now i guess

3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I almost completely agree. In fact I think I’ve stated some of the same thoughts almost verbatim on here before. I agree about Dovi’s approach. I still think he may finish runner up for that exact reason though. He won’t win the championship because of the reasons you stated. But he very well could be second again. He just won’t be able to give that extra inch to win it all.

I actually do think with Marc’s talent, Dovi could win it all. Because of how clinical he is. Look at Lorenzo when he’s not been preoccupied with being a headcase. Marc severely lacks racecraft. He’s just so damned skilled it doesn’t matter. But on the days where Dovi can match Marc’s speed, Dovi has often come out on top. It’s one of the reasons I’ve always liked Dovi. His racecraft is some of the best in the business. All Marc knows is “someone’s in front of me, pass in the next corner at all costs then run away.” And it’s all he’s ever needed. His aggressive style intimidates others and many don’t know how to handle it. But for those that do, like Dovi, he’s very beatable if you can match his speed. Problem is most struggle to do that too. But as you said, on Dovi’s off days, he can’t even break the top 5. Which is why I think Fabio beats him this year. Miller crashes too much. Mavericks too inconsistent, himself. Rossi is fighting age. While the ktm has made great strides, it’s not quite there. It may be by the end of the season but I think that’ll be too late to close the points gap. Rins and Crutchlow are hurt. With the additional 2 rounds (assuming they get confirmed), Marc may end up in 2nd but that’s a huge question mark at the moment. If Marc doesn’t take 2nd, Dovi will. I just don’t see anyone else I think can consistently beat him enough to take it. The one other possibility is bagnaia. He showed some real promise in Jerez but I don’t think we’ve seen enough yet to know for sure. And he’s already at a points disadvantage.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:eek::eek::eek:

Slider82, noles19, Spooner and 4 others like this.
  5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You noticed that, did you?

6. prm

prm Well-Known Member

If you have 12 wins and finish 150+ points ahead of second, you have racecraft. :beer:

tl1098 and turbulence like this.
  7. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’ve been waiting.
    D35BF033-4A75-46B9-93B5-484D72915A83.jpeg

8. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Ol' Quention ain't afraid to put it out there. Everyone was thinking it. He's the only one who was brave enough to say it.

9. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I see so many people writing Mav off.. Dude has been on it this year. He struggled with his tire choice in race one and got a little hot in race two. Heat has different effects on people. I think if Yamaha supplies him with a bike hes comfy with all year he will be right there for the championship. As long as the engine doesn't explode.

Kid is a leader though.. He's obviously not great at passing. However, his starts have looked a little better, and if he can get out front he can run away. I'm expecting big things from Pol as well.. That KTM has no excuse in the Eastern rounds. That should be a podium bike.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Everyone?

notbostrom likes this.
  11. redtailracing

What? This is absolutely true. The guy’s ability to study another rider, determine strengths and weaknesses, and capitalize on them is nonexistent. He just makes up for it with outright speed and huge balls. But all Marc sees “person in front of me, throw it under em next corner.” If someone passes him, he immediately fires back. There’s no mental game. That’s why Dovi has been able to take it to Marc so many times when he has the outright speed. Anytime Marc wins a race, it was because he was just the outright fastest out there, not because he strategized better.

KneeDragger_c69 and Prospect like this.
  12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

This place always delivers the funnies.

BigBird and Shocker like this.
  13. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Marc's race craft.... green flags drops and he sees if anyone can keep up with his 110% from the start. Force other racers to make errors trying to keep up or force them to back off the pace in fear of throwing the bike down.
    No need to come up with a strategy when you have the speed and balls to carry that speed all race.

BigBird likes this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I can't believe you took the bait and spelled out all that wrongness. :D

rd400racer and Shocker like this.
  15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

So...being the fastest is not a winning strategy?

BigBird likes this.
  16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

[​IMG]

Shocker likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The GOAT himself hasn't been able to pass Flag-to-Flag 101 since they started teaching it at Marc Marquez University. And this joker here is talking about no racecraft? :D

18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

A certain poster on here reminds me a bit of Orvis. Its like the thoughts run to the fingers like a rain falling from the sky, with randomized cadence from the wind. It makes no sense other than to make him feel good. Call it 37% baked.

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

No. It's 89% baked absent of any cadence.

20. redtailracing

While I don't necessarily agree with your first point, the part in bold is mostly what I'm saying. I don't think him blistering out of the gate has much, if anything, to do with other racers. I think that's just his style. Even in practice he does it. Ride at the absolute limit 100% of the time. And it works for him.

There's a difference between a fast rider and a smart rider (ie. someone with good race craft). Someone could theoretically be able to go out on track and set the fastest laps of anyone in the world all by themselves. That makes them the fastest rider in the world. Doesn't mean they have race craft. It just means they are faster than everyone else. Garrett Gerloff in the first half of last season was a prime example of this. I think there were a few weekends where there was no doubt Garrett had more pace than anyone else there. But he couldn't buy a win for the first half of the season. He struggled to pass other riders effectively, especially Toni. Marc obviously doesn't have problems passing but that's because he simply just throws the bike in under other riders regardless of whether he stands them up, runs them wide, etc. There's never any strategy in it. He has no idea where others are weak versus where he's strong. It's just dive bomb and pray. And that's fine. It works for him. But Dovi has proven a decent number of times that if you can match Marc's pace and keep a calm, critical head, and develop a strategy that Marc is very beatable.