1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Malaysian Airlines 777 shot down

Discussion in 'General' started by crazywolf450r, Jul 17, 2014.

1. crazywolf450r

crazywolf450r Well-Known Member

2. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

this could be very bad..

3. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

It is :(

4. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

RIP to the 295

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Yeah I have a bad feeling about where this could lead.

6. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

1st, why in the hell would a commercial plane be flying in a war zone?

We'll likely never know what really happened. Russia will say it had nothing to do with it. Ukraine will claim Russia supplied separatists with missiles capable of reaching that altitude. Separatists will claim the Ukraine shot the jet down to in order to frame Russia and gain international support against Putin.

Edit-This thread tastes Dungeony

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

RIP

But honestly, what in the hell is the purpose of even doing that? A Ukrainian/Russian conflict zone shoots down a commercial airliner flying overhead going from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur. Did they mistakenly think the plane was a Ukrainian fighter jet or something?

8. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Shit, say hello to fan.

9. jeffr1ey

this is a pretty well known commercial route for international traffic. both Russia and Ukraine are aware of that.

10. Bunke10

Bunke10 Well-Known Member

wow, RIP.

hold on to your butts

11. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Holly crap, two airliners in the last few months; hate to see what that does for their operations.

At first i though this may be a case where a shoulder fired missile went astray, or some sort of miscalculation. But this Buk unit is a pretty serious and sophisticated AntiArcraft system:

[​IMG]

Not exactly something you're gonna pick up on the black market. Got one Hell of a range too.

Also wondering if it was in the hands of someone who didn't know how to properly use it. Maybe trying to fire at a helicopter and picked up the blip from the airliner instead. Doesn't look like something that the average foot soldier would know what to do with.

12. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

Wait, This is the second Malaysian Air flight? WTF! First one goes missing in March and now one gets shot down? At first I though this was a resurface of the missing flight in March. Sad day for sure.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

It's easily conceivable that the rebels captured one of these from the Ukranian military. They've already shot down a Ukranian cargo plane and fighter jet.

14. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I certainly agree with you on this. What would be a legitimate purpose for an act like this? I can picture a rag-tag bunch of rebels with access to weapons that can bring down a big jet flying at 33 thousand being populated with such ignorant idiots that they might just as well shoot at a frigging sparrow as anything else, but it would be hard to accept something like that.

I was watching the national news last night when Scott Pelley was talking to Bob Schieffer, who is a more liberal leaning reporter on CBS, and even Schieffer is alarmed at how the world scene is degrading so rapidly. He seemed to be genuinely afraid of what the future holds for us. The fact that he's alarmed is alarming to me. I don't like where all this is going.

15. Bunke10

Bunke10 Well-Known Member

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Just what I was thinking. Swissair never recovered from the one crash.

17. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Sure, during times of peace. But as a company, why would you not spend a few extra bucks on fuel in order to keep your pricey aircraft and flight crew/passengers out of a war zone? You know, the same area where a military jet was shot down just yesterday. Seems like common sense never entered the equation and a bunch of innocent people paid the price.

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

The MD11 off the Canadian coast?

The shit is definitely going to hit the fan. If Russia is proven to have been involved they will become a total pariah.

19. jeffr1ey

yeah agreed. also just heard after i posted that the FAA placed a ban on allowing US carriers to utilize this route, siting the dangers..

so i agree, guess the blame needs to fall back on the airline.. but still crazy that they shot it down, especially since it had a published flight plan. guess that is just war though.

20. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

No shoulder-fired unit is capable of hitting an airliner at cruise altitude. The best of them go up to ~20k feet, airliners are another 10k+ above that.