1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making an XR100 stop

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by backcountryme, Oct 4, 2012.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Xr100s have shit brakes. We all know that. What can be done to the stock setup to make them better?

2. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I gallon of gasoline and a match....

I tried a couple different brake pads and didn't see a whole lot of change for the better. Braking for me was always a challenge requiring both front and rear brake use to scrub off speed.

My laps times dropped substantially when I swapped to the cr80 front end with a disc brake...

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

You can play around with longer brake arms, more agressive pad compounds, matching the pads to the drums (radiusing?) and venting the drums...

Or slap a disc brake front on.

4. backcountryme

Our rules don't allow front end swaps. We have to run stock. I was going to media blast the drum this winter in hopes that it might grab a bit better. I wonder if one of those hydrolic clutch kits for a pitbike might help with lever pull.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

do the courses you run really require that much braking? Mine work ok for a few laps... then I have tot rely on the engine and the tire side to do the braking. Of course the bike complains with lots of chatter...lol.

6. backcountryme

There are two turns that are 3rd gear. They are off of 5th gear straights. I have been using tons of rear brake but the biggest thing is my daughter rides the same bike and I would like to lower the pull force on the front for her. She doesn't like using rear brake, but she charges the turns pretty hard. That is why I was thinking one of those hydro clutch kits might work. Some thing like this.

http://www.pccmotor.com/hydraulic-clutch-lever-master-cylinder-pit-dirt-bike-mx.html

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

8. backcountryme

Yeah. I gave been pushing for them to change the rules. We can swap if we run the formula class, but I am trying to stay in the spec class.

9. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

You might have success turning the drums to make the round and square, then checking shoe alignment. I was thinking the same thing recently as I couldn't stop mine in the parking lot, and I had to take a solid run to slide the tire (to impress my friends, of course). It was less than impressive.

If you can break the wheel apart and send the drum out, that might be your best option right now. Then look at those easy-pull clutch levers, they might make one you can modify to the front brake. you can also run the lever closer to the bar to allow her smaller hand more leverage closer to the grip. Or tell her to "man up." :D

10. backcountryme

She mans up pretty good. She rode with massive blisters on her hand for a whole weekend before she told me because she didn't want to miss any races. Not bad for a 13 year old girl that had never been on a motorcycle until the first race.

11. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

i changed my brake shoes to these before ridding it on track but everybody else who has rode the bike says these are much better then stock
    http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/208/908/510/4479/EBC-Brake-Shoe-Carbon
    also vesrah makes some but iv never tried them
    there is also the terminator brake cable at the bottom of this pagehttp://www.xr100.com/crfxr100.htm
    i don't have one but maybe it would help with the lever pull :beer:

12. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Put your feet down. :)

13. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

i've used the vesrah shoes , an improvement but the brakes still sucked

i disassembled the whole system and made sure it was as good as could be , helped a touch more

kinda half the fun of em though , having lousy brakes

if it had killer brakes then it would need more motor ,then the chassis , soon it would'nt really be an xr100 anymore