1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magura HC1 / HC3 master cylinders

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have the HC1 on my 2003 R1 and SV650. It should be noted, that in both cases, I had to create my own reservoir mount and source tubing, as the included bracket location had the reservoir hitting the fairing and the included tubing was too short for where I needed to mount the reservoir.

I am very happy with the MC performance one on the R1. It made a huge improvement over the stock MC.
    The SV I finally got to good place after I swapped in a set of adaptor plates and CBR calipers, but I am blaming that on the calipers not the MC.

One bonus over the Brembo is you can supposedly swap out the brake lever without bleeding the system, just in case you break a lever in a crash. I have not personally needed to test that out. Yeah, I probably just jinxed myself.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  3. Maxrr

Maxrr Well-Known Member

The Magura masters are excellent (I’ve been running them on R3/400/R6/Fz07 for a couple years). I find that I have to bleed the master much less often than brembos. High quality stuff made in Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  4. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I have a Magura HC-1 on my 400 and it's awesome!! Ran it a full season without having to bleed the brake at all after initial install and still felt just as good at the end of the season. I have no complaints at all about it. I've never used a Brembo on my 400 but I have on a few other bikes and I'd say the Magura is very comparable.

5. pittmeister

pittmeister Well-Known Member

What would require you to bleed the system by swapping levers? I've never experienced this on any master I've used, Brembo or otherwise.

JJJerry, gpz11 and turbulence like this.
  6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Magura clutch slave cylinders absolutely suck ass just a FYI.

skidooboy likes this.
  7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

No clue, as I have never owned a Brembo aftermarket MC. Just something I heard was necessary when swapping the lever on a Brembo from a racer. This was a number of years ago and it might have changed.
    Now that I think of it, I don't believe the stock Brembo on my Tuono would require that. Consider the comment withdrawn unless someone else has first hand experience.

8. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

You don't have to bleed the brakes if you want to change the lever on any MC, Brembo or otherwise. Now if you're replacing it because of a crash where the lever didn't just break in half like usual, but also broke the push rod that goes inside the MC (which happened on my ZX6R when the previous owner crashed it), then yes you will likely have to do that after you get a rebuild kit from Brembo.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. backbone

backbone scarred for life

The HC1 and HC3 are nearly the same. The HC3 is a billet body with a folding lever and the ability to use a remote adjuster.

I am the Magura roadrace distributor in Texas and surrounding states. If you would like one hmu and I can get it to you at a great price.

Wheel Bearing, G2G and turbulence like this.
  10. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Do have access to the MTB catalogue as well? I'm in the market for a new disc set up. :beer:

Tj Hunter likes this.
  11. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

I have the HC-1 and love it. Any questions about anything to do with brakes, call Mattias Schaub at Spiegler and he will set you up.

12. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I was going to email them but I suppose I can just ask here, but it looks like there's no remote adjuster option for the HC1?

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Anyone know the lever ratios for the 12mm and 15mm HC1?

14. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Sorry, no I sure don't. I'm just Motorcycle Roadrace.

OGs750 likes this.
  15. Big hairy ass.

noles19 likes this.