1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Machinists - what should this cost?

Discussion in 'General' started by SuddenBraking, Jul 26, 2022.

1. I’m with you. When making some adapters etc for 5oJoes para enabled FZ I used 7075. Was overkill but ran a quick FEA and the extra cost and marginally tougher to machine (not really even worth noting as I wasn’t doing a production run) is negligible. You won’t get anywhere near fatigue on 7075 unless you take massive amounts of material out and in this case I’m assuming a few g of weight savings is not that critical. Both have their place but something like this I’d use 7000 series or a solid (or close to) piece of 6061.

2. I’ve made more complex pieces in a pinch with a 4 1/2 cut off wheel, die grinder and a drill press. If measuring is not your thing make a cardboard mock up and transfer it over, it’s not too hard. Tons of material can be found on eBay, ,it’s if people sell ends of stock from production runs, etc. if I had any spare time I’d do it but I spend too much time typing on here.

six6two and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  3. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Lots of amazing stuff was made with drills, saws, files and lots of patience and skill.
    die filer.JPG

six6two and Canadian Bacon like this.
  4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

They're German rearsets. They come with a cup and you need to provide the two hookers.

I've got a lot of tools, but candidly I'm not looking for something that I could half ass (nor am I confident I could even half ass it).

six6two likes this.
  5. six6two

six6two AWD

Yeah the I also really like the Graves clip-ons because their clamps are 7075 while the bar I believe is 6061... Their bars tend to bend without snapping off and have really saved our ass through multiple endurance racing hickups! I'm sure other brands are doing something similar now too.

BTW the "cheaper" rearset I was shown flexing way more than the Graves unit was NOT cheap junk...

6. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

A local machine shop charged me somewhere around $500 about 5 years ago for this rear brake rotor adapter for and old yamaha.

I supplied the drawing I made on a cad program. one thing I didn't include that they gave me shit about was the tolerances...

My part was more machining than yours needs to be... if you are talking waterjet and drill holes it might not be bad. There used to be "online" sites that you submit your part using their basic CAD program and they give you a bid. Might try that to ballpark it.

I've made dozens of small brackets and spacers in noncritical areas myself... the OP's project is something I would diy but it all depends on what your time is worth to you...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022