1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Machinists - what should this cost?

Discussion in 'General' started by SuddenBraking, Jul 26, 2022.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Long story short, bought some rearsets for my 2016 S1000XR and although being labeled that they fit the bike, they don't. I could return them, but I think I'd rather try to make them fit the bike which I *think* (will come back to this post in XX months and smack myself in the back of the head) is as simple as getting custom adapter plates made that would fit my bike (they're Woodcraft rearsets, so very modular construction).

As you can see, the adapter plates are straight which fit the S1000RR and the S1000R but don't fit my bike. So I'd need a plate (the 05-0775I piece I'm pointing to in the diagram) that is offset like the rearsets you see, but otherwise (I'd think) is pretty damn straightforward as far as machining goes.

Soooooo, is there anything I'm not thinking about in terms of the complexity of this from a machining standpoint (I'm totally ignorant, full disclosure) and if there isn't, what should I expect to pay for this?

Also, what checks are needed other than these two:

1) Confirm rear master fits in the hypothetical location (it does)
    2) Confirm the shift lever will fit (it sure looks like it'll be fine)

Attached Files:

2. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Make a scale drawing of exactly what you want including dimensions for radii, size of holes, spacing between them and if you need any countersunk. This will save you $$$ if it can be scanned in. Also look at water jet cutting as an option if you don't need any actual relief of the part. Still you are probably looking at a couple hundred dollars at least. Machine shop time is expensive and most of the guys I know are swamped right now.

sbk1198 and SuddenBraking like this.
  3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Why can't you order the correct adapter plate for your application straight from Eric @ Woodcraft?

stk0308 likes this.
  4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Just get the correct setup and be done.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Tree

Fiddy.

It had to be done.

6. six6two

six6two AWD

yeah if you can't produce a print for a machinist, it's most likely going to cost you more than a whole set of new rear sets.

If you can produce a proper print, looks like a few minutes with a water jet, and about a half hour of mill work to get the job done.

sdg likes this.
  7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

They don’t make an adapter plate for this bike (S1000XR). The only other rearsets I’m aware of for this bike are OEM M rearsets from BMW, which cost 1200 and aren’t available anywhere (with no estimate of when they’ll be available).

Ergo my interest in going down this foolish path….

8. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Zip - Ties

#endthread

9. sdg

sdg *

Looks like it could be pretty easily done with a flat piece, a spacer and bolts to suit. But you're going to have to a lot better than those pics if you want to actually do it...

SuddenBraking likes this.
  10. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be pretty, but a decent temporary solution would be to source some 1/2 inch thick 7075 plate and cut out a piece roughly the same shape as your adaptor - with a bandsaw. Lay out the hole pattern using your existing rear set. You can achieve your offset using washers. Otherwise, showing up at a machine shop with out a print will add hours to the cost. Most shops charge north of $100 an hour for shop time, plus material cost.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Have you asked Eric if he can make one? It's worth a shot.

12. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Seems you could have Woodcraft do this for you, as they readily have the machinery/skill set. For a fee, of course. Assuming that the actual manufacturing is not outsourced elsewhere.

13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

In my experience, Eric is a pretty agreeable dude. I’d reach out to him about it. Might only need to send him your original rearsets for scanning. Worth a shot, as it would put another offering their catalog.

14. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

If you go to some random machine shop they could charge you a few hundred dollars for this or simply tell you to kick rocks because it's not worth their time. I once designed a shift lever for an old Ducati I had because I needed something custom to fit a certain type of rear sets with a certain QS and also be GP-shift. I designed it about as simple as possible, and the machine shop quoted me $350! In the end a friend of mine made it for me in exchange for a bottle of whiskey lol

So your best bet is to either find a friend or someone who's willing to make it for really cheap if they have their own mill or someone who's looking for more practice and will do it for free or cheap. Or alternatively I would contact Eric Wood and ask him to help you out, especially if they advertise that these fit the XR and it doesn't. It's possible they made an assumption that it's the same as the S1000 and S1000RR without actually checking, so you would help them out by telling them. By doing that you'll save them of future complaints and returns, so he might be willing to work with you and make you one for free if you give him some dimensions and details. Eric has always been great to work with and he stands by his work and products.

15. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Buy yourself the material and cut it out yourself.
    Make holes in the correct location and be done with it ;)

If you want it to look decent, spend an hour sanding it down and making it nice and smooth. Paint semi-gloss at end.

16. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

If you do decide to make these yourself do not use 7000 series aluminum. 6061-T6 or 6005A-T56 bar stock is the correct material. If you can find a place to hard anodize the parts after you are done it would help with life on the threads. Or do threaded inserts.

17. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Doesn't that plate do the offsetting?

18. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

If you're not in a hurry, I can help out. Thanks to the UTubes, I have been making scrap metal out of good metal for a while!

Made this little piece for an AR Pistol so I can actually make things. :D

Attached Files:

5axis, YamahaRick, 418 and 2 others like this.
  19. sdg

sdg *

Curious as to your reasoning?

tgold and Britt like this.
  20. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

7000 series stuff can be more brittle, can be more prone to effects from vibration, isn't as easy to machine / hack into shape at home. 6061 / 6005 cuts and machines like a dream. You can rough out the shape you want with a jigsaw, use transfer punches to mark your holes, clean up with a belt sander, etc etc. The biggest issue is pulling out the threads if you moosify the hardware.