1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Machinist help needed

Discussion in 'General' started by yokohama1, Apr 7, 2022.

1. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

I know the beeb has some professional and hobby machinists that I'm hoping can help me out by machining a flat area onto a clutch shaft.

The bike is a first gen Aprilia RSV that I have installed a Yoyodyne slipper but over time the clutch friction plates become dry and the bike is impossible to launch smoothly. Fred at Yoyodyne has been very helpful trying to solve this issue and has a suggestion. Since oil is delivered through the shaft on the clutch, in order to get more oil into the clutch, he suggests machining a flat spot onto the clutch shaft to allow more oil into the clutch. The drawing shows what they have done to achieve similar results on 400 Ninjas.

If anyone would care to take this on I would be very appreciative and willing to compensate for the work.
    Thank you in advance.

Fig Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 9.23.16 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 9.22.54 PM.png

E Reed likes this.
  2. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

The flat spot on the shaft is easy enough but the profile cut into the washer flange would be more of a challenge using round cutting tools

3. yokohama1

And that is where I’m relying on those with more experience than myself in machining. I’m guessing it doesn’t need to be that exact 45 degree cut, just a pathway for oil to get into the clutch basket.

4. drop

drop Well-Known Member

4th axis machining makes that a breeze or a lathe with live tooling.

mattys281-2 likes this.
  5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

My thought is, how about 3 grooves with a ball mill? I would worry about balance and/or warpage from removing material from just one side.

6. yokohama1

Don’t believe it spins so I don’t think balance would be an issue. From what Fred says, this has been the solution to the same issue in the 400’s.

7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I know a 3rd gen family owned and ran shop in Michigan if you don't mind shipping it and getting your checkbook out.

they do a lot of custom stuff for me for pump drives at work, etc. Full size shop. Great dudes

8. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Seems to me you could get the same effect with a dremel and the right bit. Is it steel?

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Pretty sure it does spin when the bike is in gear and the clutch is released.

10. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

So.. forgive my quick little CAD model as I whipped this up in like 2 minutes while babysitting some CNC stuff.

Wouldn't you be able to achieve the same thing by just running an end mill down the side of the pull rod, and letting it remove some material on the base of the washer area?

pull rod.PNG

Rebel635 and GRH like this.
  11. yokohama1

Don’t really mind compensating for work done. Timing is probably the biggest issue at this point. Will be at the track the second weekend of May for probably my only shakedown before racing season starts for me. I know most places that do good work have longer lead times.

12. yokohama1

13. yokohama1

Yes, that would work as well.

14. yokohama1

Yes, it’s steel.

15. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

If you want to ship me a few of them (in case I dick up the first one) I can whip one up for you to try. I can be compensated by you paying into the Road Racer World Action fund, or throwing a cash prize to your local WERA race winner. (any class of your choosing) I just replaced the one on my zx10R and I think they are lie $7-8? lol

16. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

The flat you could on a belt sander if you have one that would work. A tungsten carbide dremel bit would probably work for the slot.

17. yokohama1

I’ve got another in a trashed motor so I could send two. Was hoping to keep the one in case it all went sideways. I haven’t checked to see if they are readily available any more. Some of the parts for these first gen bikes are not being made. I’m more than happy to make the donation. That is very kind of you. I’m heading out of town but will be back early next week and could ship to you then. Thank you.

18. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

true but you're getting into higher dollar equipment that the owner is likely not interested in setting up for a 1 off

Britt likes this.
  19. Many ways to machine that from a 4-5 axis machine to a manual setup. Just need a good machinist with the right tooling.