1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MA little bike class opening up

Discussion in 'General' started by Banditracer, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

so this is how the R3 cup will be born :)

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How much more will this cost to be competitive in and how many race dads are gonna go broke (broker? brokest?) chasing their kid's dreams.

4. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Good move.

Now combine the 600 class into one and add in a middleweight naked class as a stepping stone and watch the series grow with more competitors.

Cap that shit at 100hp and get like 6 brands in the mix immediately.

This isn't fucking rocket science.

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I heard somewhere they were considering a middleweight twins class. SV's, FZ07, 650 Ninja, not sure what others maybe eligible.

5axis likes this.
  6. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I like the way you think.

5axis likes this.
  7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

oh hell.....

V5 Racer likes this.
  8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Well at least one Honda 500 and one Kawi 300 are giving the R3 a good fight in WSS 300 so hopefully we will see a mix here too.

Also WSS 300 have the KTM at this point, so I am imagine they will be competitive too.

As to RBs comment - 3 classes is probably enough imho. Jr. Cup, 600, 1000. Let's say they do this 100hp cap naked class, what bikes are you thinking? What constitutes a "naked" bike? How large and aerodynamic are you allowed to make the catch pan?

Duc 821, CB 650F seem like good fits for 100HP cap.
    Is the GSX-S750 naked enough?
    FZ-09 detuned? FZ-07 would have to be a SBK build to compete.
    Street 3 detuned?

Ah, I see a LW twins class maybe. So do you let the Monster 797 in along with the SV, Z650 and FZ-7? No Ninja 650 as the bodywork would be an unfair advantage at tracks like Road America. You don't want to be building these things to 100HP at the rear wheel. That would be pricier than a 600 Superstock.

9. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Depends on what the final rulebook ends up saying. Reading their press release, it seems like they are going to try to keep costs at a similar level to the RC cup.

10. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Called it the "Clapped Class"

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That was born last year with WERA :D

12. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I agree on curbing the outrageous superbikey stuff, but the FZ07 will make 100hp with stock rods and crank.

13. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

So the age cap is still in place. Didn't see any mention of it going away

14. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Where have you seen an FZ07 do that? That's very ambitious

15. Boman Forklift

AP Motoarts-Andy Palmer has some dyno charts up in facebook, hitting 100HP. Ported head, cams and pistons, plus a bunch of tuning.

shakazulu12 likes this.
  16. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Sounds like a Superbike to me. I would think they would want to keep a class like this as Superstock rules.

17. Boman Forklift

It is a SBK, but has stock rods and crank.

Dragginass likes this.
  18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

IMO, they would have to allow some allowances to even the playing field, The FZ07 and the EX650 have a pretty significant hp disadvantage in SS trim compared to the SV650. The FZ07 has awesome brakes and is quite a bit lighter.
    For sure making it a pro thunder type class with an open rulebook would be bad.

19. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Dont forget about them nasty old Honda Hawks rumor has it there is one ready to hit the grid at any minute with a rider that is 20 years ahead of his time on talent.

gt#179 and Dragginass like this.
  20. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

The FZ07 is plenty competitive in SS form. Yes it's down a few peak HP to the SV, but the mid-range is better and as you mentioned it's much lighter. I loved my SV's but the FZ07 is going to catch on in a massive way.

But I'm just glad to see the possibility of a national LW class!