1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M1000RR

Discussion in 'General' started by Ra.Ge. Raptor, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

2. I was looking at that yesterday. Badass.

3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I dig it. I liked the looks of the HP4 better but I bet this one is bad ass on track.

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Found this little nugget interesting:

"To compensate for the additional tensile forces affecting the rear wheel, the engine’s changes, BMW added a tooth to the chain sprocket, increasing it to 46."

BMW admitting there may be issues with their carbon wheels and not too confident in their structural integrity as a result of the added power/torque and longer wheelbase?

Suzuka_joe likes this.
  5. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Very interesting indeed. However if I were to wager, I'd say this was a choice for longer swingarm and improved weight distribution. The difference in torque applied to the rear tire would be minimal compared to the HUGE factor of safety they apply when designing the wheels.

EDIT: I've just read this again, they've gone UP on rear sprocket count, increasing torque output to the rear wheel and decreasing wheelbase. Not sure what positive effect this has on the rear wheel tensile forces aside from perhaps chain pull angle and associated forces.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  6. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

And this sounds like a proper weapon mechanically - longer Ti rods, 2 ring higher compression pistons etc. But seeing things like marzocchi fork and 'M' brakes on a $35k bike? If they get any complaints like they did with the Hayes equipped bikes, they'll catch hell for not having the super whammy Brembos.

turbulence likes this.
  7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

They do it with their cars, makes sense they would do it with their bikes....

BROsiah and Phl218 like this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why would a sprocket change affect wheelbase - they could have gone a link longer on the chain... :D

9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

meh. BMW are weiner softeners.

YamahaRick and Circacee like this.
  10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

"One link" requires two teeth. Unless you get an adding-and-connecting chain link:
    [​IMG]

11. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

So your paying 15 K for some fancy wheels and Ti rods

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Meh, close enough for my amusement thinking about it :D

pscook likes this.
  13. It is funny when the WSBK announcers will make comments like "The BMW isnt a match for the Honda's power", or "Sykes keeps losing ground to the Hondas because of the top speed difference", so on and so forth. It is cool that Honda made such huge strides, and now the BMW is a turd compared to the Honda (especially in WSBK trim).

KneeDragger_c69 and Senna like this.
  14. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

And new pistons
    and variable intake funnels
    and revised frame dimensions
    and a new exhaust
    and different software enabled in the ECU

and wings

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. Does it say how many of them they will make? In other words, do they plan on having it homologated for racing?

16. stk0308

I haven't seen any numbers yet. But, BMW themselves have not bragged about it being a limited number. I expect that means plenty for homologation. Most news outlets are assuming this is a homologation special to go after the Ducati Panigale V4R

17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Everything is right in the world again.

18. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

so they updated to Ducati 3 years ago? Awesome!

turbulence, Phl218 and stk0308 like this.
  19. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

what is this witchcraft?

20. stk0308

Well...you wouldn't want to rush into anything. Remember, we're talking about ze Germans here.