1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

luxury car wraps

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Good idea or no? I am looking at a Porsche Macan for the wife, she loves the Mexico Blue, but it's not available except as paint to sample, which means ordering new. I am planning on a 2018-19 low mileage used model.

And no, she doesn't like Miami blue so I'm screwed.

I have heard the new wraps are very good. No idea on price, either.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

If the wrap idea doesnt work...just swap wife. Cheaper than a new porsche????

3. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Per installer/fabricator does not last. Just a suggestion: base Macan or GTS. The S is sluggish esp. around town with single turbo 6. I swapped from'19 S to '20 GTS- completely different vehicle. Turbo is spendy when similarly equipped to GTS. The GTS is the drivers car and best bang for the buck. Base is light on its feet for city driving but freeway on-ramp reminded that its a four banger. Macan is a great vehicle overall.

4. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Local guy has all of his M cars (M3, M5,M8) wrapped with the 3M stuff. I was at his shop when the two year old wrap came off of the M3 and was amazed at how little residue was left behind. The original finish was in great shape. Like any finish, installation is critical. A friend whose business is vinyl did my race bike for some bike experience said the job would be $500-$600 with it using three colors. I paid him a little over $200 for the vinyl so I'm betting a car is at least $2K. He did say motorcycle bodywork was more difficult than car body panels.

Gino230 likes this.
  5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Let me introduce you to this guy named Chris.....

Shenanigans likes this.
  6. Gino230

I am planning on the S, they are more plentiful than the GTS on the used market, and cheaper. It's gonna be the wife's car so I'm not going nuts. But yeah, the base just looks slow on paper!

She works hard, contributes to the household financially and otherwise, and never asks for anything. She's a true partner in every sense of the word, so buying her her dream car IS getting off cheap compared to some of the other gals I could have ended up with. :Poke:

t11ravis, borislav, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  7. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I wrapped cars and bikes 10 years ago as a side job. If the installation is good you will hardly know its a wrap. If the place your going to has a good reputation I wouldn't be afraid to do it. If they are as good as they say they are they may be able give you client cars to go check out their wrap jobs. I would guess that's a $3500 job.

Gino230 likes this.
  8. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Wraps suck unless you want to only have it on for a couple years max and the paint under is factory. If the car has any repaints, that paint will probably come off when the wrap is pulled.
    Here in the AZ sun, the wrap starts to die and fade around the 2 year mark.
    Retail I'd guess between 2500-3000k to wrap a small suv.

Gino230 likes this.
  9. sdg

sdg *

Definitely look at their previous work. I've seen some pretty shit wraps on some pretty nice cars.

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Nice. Congrats on avoiding the FA trap....:D

Gino230 likes this.
  11. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, it would be cheaper and easier to find one the color you want even if you need to have it shipped. Trucks are hauling snow birds out of your state these days, so maybe you can get a deal heading south. I can do a search if you want. I have access to all the wholesale inventory.

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

That sucks as there is a 2019 Miami Blue S sitting in Texas with 4600 miles on it for $57k.

13. Gino230

The problem is the only way I would find one in that color is if someone special ordered it "paint to sample" with GT3 colors. I've seen one on rennlist, of course the ad was 2 years old.

14. Gino230

I personally like the Miami Blue, but it's not MY dream car. :crackup:

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

a wrap around here for a SUV would easily be between 3k-5k.

They last about 2-3 years I would say, maybe longer. Best to buy a new one and get it right from Porsche AG than mess around with wraps, and potentially small slices throughout the car, and having them remove the bumper and emblems and all kinds of stuff

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

WWBD?

What would Broome do??

Gorilla George and MELK-MAN like this.
  17. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I would spend $5000-$8000 and have it painted the right color. Door jams and everything. Will take about 2 weeks. Dont have to worry about re-wrapping it in 2 years. No wrap will pop like a beautiful clear coat.

Shenanigans and Monsterdood like this.
  18. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Shoot it with Rhino liner:). Don’t have to worry about washing it, ever. If you have to use the wife’s car and park it at the airport, no worries.

BigBird likes this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

remember it's a Dream Car @Gino230 ... spend the money, get the right color and the GTS.

20. Phl218

Phl218 .

yeah, while i'm basically with ya...

when buying our current "dream car" which also serves mainly as family hauler, i settled "for less" . because for the wife it does not make as much of a difference, the interior, feel, comfort is still there. and the smallest engine in the range also has the highest payload rating for the vehicle...

i'd even recommend against a GTS (firmer / lower IIRC?) or a drivers car per se, since the parameters for satisfaction for the wife are (generally) different.

get the S with the option she likes and then wrap it. ;)

BigBird likes this.