1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LT Truck tires

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, May 5, 2020.

1. BC

BC Well-Known Member

It's time to replace my dually's tires and wheels. I'm going a little taller.

Interested in opinions on Nitto Terra Grappler G2 and Toyo Open Country AT2. Looking for the quieter and more even wear of the 2. (rotating duallys sucks because of the blank inners on the rear)Both have 50K mileage warranty.

2. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I've put BFG T/A KO (now the KO2) tires on all of my trucks. Love those tires. They're expensive but damn do they do everything well. I currently have 70k on the set of 315/70/17 currently on my diesel f250 and I'll easily get another 10k out of them. Just picked up 4 more and put them in the basement for when winter comes. There was a deal online a few weeks ago I couldn't pass up. I've purchased at least 8-9 sets of them in the past and put them on a Dakota, F150, Ram 2500, F250 all with excellent results in all weather including 10 Detroit winters.

3. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

How noisy are they on the highway? I have a 4x4 but I realize that 99% of my driving will be on the pavement.

4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The BFG's are actually very quiet for a true AT tire. I had them on 2 different trucks and they wear extremely well. I also had the Nitto's and for the money, they were better than many others I tried. While I'm not a fan of the goofy side lugs on the BFG's, they are probably one of the best tires out there.

5. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I have never noticed any road noise with them at all, but none of my trucks were what you would consider quiet to begin with.

6. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I had the KO2's on my Suburban and they did everything well for about 50K. After that, they became quite hard and became quite unpredictable in the rain so off they went. Replaced them with the G2's and I'm quite happy. The ride is a bit softer with the G2 and they seem to be wearing well.

If I had to replace the G2's today, I would go for another set just because they are cheaper than the Ko2's.

7. malamute

malamute ARRA racer

Nitto Terra Grappler G2's on Tundra. Just over 50K now. They have always been comfortable. They are starting to cup because I do not rotate, and have not aligned since the tires were purchased. Still lots of tread and no cracking on the sidewalls. Truck is not garaged and no car port. Will get the same when they wear out and/or when the cupping gets worse. Highly recommend. I used to always get BFG AT, before the k/o's came around. I didn't like them after the change happened. Seems like they are out of round and harder(rougher ride). Just my .02

8. AT2 are my daily on the Jeep, 35’s 17” rims. Have a about 40 k on them and have been awesome. I also have the MT’s and another set just for rocky stuff. They are decent off road but not great. The RT’s are a great all around tire but for a daily the at2’s are hard to beat. They are quiet, wear excellent and are very stable at speed. I’ve also done a fair bit of spontaneous odd roading them and been on some nasty rocks and side walls held up ok.

9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I just put the AT2's on my F350 about 2 months ago. I was coming off of the stock Wranglers, but here is what I noticed. Same dimension tire.

More body roll from what feels like sidewall flex at speed on the highway.

They're louder than the Wranglers.

I'm a tires are tires guy, but those sumbitches are a good looking tire.

They hookup well in the wet.

11. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

toyo just brought out a new tire, updating the at2, to the at3. getting good reviews so far but, they have only been out a few months.

another tire to look at is the falken wildpeak at3w, super cost efficient and getting good reviews.

in the end, tires are like oil, and you have fan boys. one big thing to remember is look for tire ratings lt, sl, p rated tires, all ride different.

be careful with the bfg's most tire stores will try to sell you on D or E rated tires as they have deeper tread patterns for longer mileage life. they will be stiff and give a rough ride. buyer beware
    Ski

12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You need to be searching the hot shot/transporter forums. Those guys burn through tires and will know what’s best for a dually.

If you’re planning on skipping rotating, you’d be better with a tire that has a solid outer rib, to help combat irregular wear. It’s partly why semi-truck steer tires have solid out ribs.

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Does said dually actually hook to a trailer or is it one of those jacked up things with fake scrotums hanging from the unused trailer hitch?

14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

My Tundra came with the original KOs, once they started wearing they were noisy as hell. Could barely carry on a conversation at the worst point. Switched to Nitto Dura Grapplers and the difference was amazing. Much better and quieter ride, particularly if most of your driving is pavement. Even replaced the MS tires on my Jeep with them.

15. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Consider the Cooper Discoverer SRX; they're a nice tire.

16. BC

BC Well-Known Member

It tows just about every day. No lift kit. Stock tires are 17" 31.5's and I'm going to 20" 34's.

17. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Had the Toyo's AT2's (6.7 F250) and wasn't really a fan of them (35's). Noisy, lasted 40,000 miles (had to pull them off with tons of tread life left because I was fishtailing when towing in the rain and braking distances were greatly compromised by that point as well (8.5 X 20) and one of them them never balanced right and got crazy vibration at anything above 75mph (all of which was made worse by the cost of them). I could be a one off because I obviously bought them based upon their raving reviews and as Eggfoo stated, hands down, they look FANTASTIC. Went with Hankooks AT2's to replace them and love them (full disclosure, had Hankook ATM's on my Pathfinder and Expedition EL (not LT's) and have always loved them (super quiet, great wet and snow traction, come with a good mileage warranty and they look good as well and would have originally gotten them instead of the Toyo's if they had them in 35's). Once the Toyo's were done, got the Hankook AT2's in 34's (LT) and couldnt be happier - miss the look of 35's but the Hankooks are quieter, better in the rain, come with a 60,000 mile warranty, look good and I've had a long history with them working well. Just can't give you any feedback on longevity because they still got less than 10,000 miles on them now.

Toyo's (35's)

IMG_5877.JPG
    Hankook (34's)

IMG_0921.jpg

Toyos

IMG_7571 (1).jpg

Hankooks

IMG_0933.jpg

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Damn, this truck has been on here more than G97's damn cat lately. :D

19. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Michelin all day

20. wheelz96

wheelz96 Well-Known Member

I have used both tires. My last set were the G2's and I'm currently running the Toyo AT2 now. The Nitto was a great tire and lasts forever with little to no highway noise. The Toyo looks a little more aggressive which I like and is also fairly quiet but louder then the Nitto. Both should last you 35,000 + miles. Really can't go wrong with either but Toyo is more aggressive looking and my personal preference.