1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowering travel trailer height for storage?

Discussion in 'General' started by rwdfun, Nov 4, 2019.

1. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

This is what we did with our trailer... It's a bit of a process since the approach is a bit of an incline, so you back it in most of the way with the steelies (with no tires) on the rear axle, and right when its about to hit the ceiling in the garage you stop, jack it up a fuzz, and move them to the front axle and push it the rest of the way in. You can get quite a drop doing it this way... Not quite as much as on the bare drums but pretty damn close.

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

wasn't it someone on here that had his 5th wheel Toyhauler taken by his ex-GF?

3. rwdfun

rwdfun

Coleman Mach 8 is 8.25" high. I think most stock ACs are 14" so that gains me about 6. Most vent covers and skylights are less than 8". A few trailers I found and like are 10'8-10'10. So I need another 3-5" If I could drop 8" that brings a whole bunch more options to the table but I think that's asking for a miracle. Luckily my driveway is huge with a flat approach so it should be simple to back it in the 25-30'

Older designs put the wheels in a well. The new trend now is to put the wheels under the box. Interwebs show people flipping the axles to gain more height, which I find odd. I'm not sure why someone would want to make something with a high center of gravity even higher.

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That's a bad idea. Axles have an arch up for a reason... :rolleyes:

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Because their tow vehicles are 4wd and have tall bedsides, so they need their 5th wheel’s height to be higher to clear the bed.

They’re not actually flipping the axle itself; they’re moving the axle from above the leaf pack to below.

6. Banditracer

Ok, overslung vs. underslung, that's different.

ducnut likes this.
  7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I see a trailer on Daytons and I creep...

8. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Grind the driveway and barn opening 1', sloped 10' in either direction. Put a drain tile in the lowest point and ship it.

9. rwdfun

rwdfun

That won't cost a penny
    Stupid concrete. If it was dirt I could just dig it out

10. Banditracer

I was going to say just raise the garage, that sounds about as easy. :crackup:

ducnut likes this.
  11. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I've seen a couple of trailers with mini split HVAC mounted on trailers. If I was setting one up I would go that route. They are quieter and cost about the same. The condenser was mounted on a bracket on the tongue with a cover for when it was being towed so no height issues.

ducnut likes this.
  12. rwdfun

rwdfun

Did it look something like this?
    [​IMG]

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

My buddy swapped wheels on his trailer to fit it in the garage.

It worked well enough.

Sent from my smatrfone

14. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I had to do this to get mine in. I went with a low profile air conditioner. I also had to bend an antenna down. Then I had a garage door guy adjust the door so it went up a little extra. That made it so I was only dealing with the opening, not the bottom of the door. That was enough for me. I found that the website exaggerated the height slightly (which makes sense). I was thinking I would need to gain a couple of inches by letting the air out of the tires for the last 20 feet to get the trailer in. I ended up not having to do that.

15. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

The idea of having to SWAP WHEELS just to get the trailer in and out of a garage sounds absolutely nauseating to me.

I just finished building out a new pad for my toy hauler, and one of the best things about it is I no longer have to use the Trailer Valet to get it into the spot. Just hook up and go, and when getting home, back it into place and unhook.

BigBird likes this.
  16. badmoon692008

The way I took it for most people in this thread (and the only time we change wheels on ours) is for winter storage, not for every time we use the trailer. So you only have to do it twice a year.

BigBird likes this.
  17. badmoon692008

That's one thing I forgot to mention... you can usually get the door up another couple inches (which is usually enough to clear the opening) by pulling the emergency release cord and lifting it past the mechanism for the opener.

ducnut likes this.
  18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Ah, OK, that makes more sense. Us Floridians are unfamiliar with your northern ways......

Gino230 likes this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Or, just adjust the stop on the opener.

20. badmoon692008

This probably would work for some people, but at least in my application the opener is pretty far forward in the garage and the carriage would get too close to the opener if we had it go any more... I feel like it might cause an issue with the springs too? But I admittedly am not very well versed in garage door knowledge.

ducnut likes this.