1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low time (less than 6 race weekends)FZR400 superstock spec motor

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Old school, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Old school

Old school Member

Hi guys. My name is Jason Owens. I only raced with WERA one season back in 2004. That was a very successful fun season even if I did get a late start that year. The coolest thing I ever did with FZR's was converting my "TZR400" to run on E85 ethanol for the 2006 CCS season. Anyway don't mean to make it sound like I am "all that" just want to establish the fact that I do know something about FZR's. I'm sure several of you out there know as much and more. What I have for sale here is a rebuilt (in 2002, torn down and checked in 2012) Superstock spec motor. The head has been milled .020" and has a 5 angle valve job on new (in 2002) intake valves and new valve springs. It has 1mm over Yamaha pistons. the bottom end is completely stock except the clutch (Barnett? I don't remember). The most unique thing about this motor is the cases must have been purchased new from Yamaha because there is no "ID" numbers on the boss near the clutch. When the motor was torn down in 2012 the crank still looked new. All the bearings looked great. The motor has always been stored properly with oil in the cylinders. I was able to do two track days last year at VIR after a long absence from the track with this motor in the bike. It performed flawlessly and I was able to turn laps in the 1:47 range even though I now weigh over 200lbs with gear. The motor used no oil despite the hot summer temps. My wife and I have been blessed with our newborn daughter so I'll not be riding on the track anytime soon. I'd like to see someone put this motor to good use. The plan is to sell this motor, then reassemble my mild superbike motor over the next winter and put that in the bike to sell as a track ready complete machine. FYI this motor never saw E85, its always been run on high octane non ethanol. I'm asking $750. Thanks

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Congratulations on the Daughter! Is the other engine an FZR engine too?

3. Old school

Old school Member

Thank you and yes. The other motor is a FZR400, 1mm over, ported head, stock bottom end. Building that motor is super low priority as is the whole bike. This motor is ready to go. If anyone shows real interest I will drop it out and arrange to meet within reasonable distance. I'm in Radford VA. Thanks for the interest

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Totally understand the priority shift..........2 daughters and tons of FZR stuff around here myself:beer:. Good Luck with the sale.Killer deal!!!!

5. Old school

Old school Member

I've had some interest and questions which have made me realize I need to tell more about this motor. I always ran the motor with the stock airbox, K&N, carbs jetted to the pipe which was a D&D 4 into 2 into 1. I tried a yosh 4 into 1 with poor results. Also I need to clarify that this is a complete motor minus the flywheel, pickup and NRC race thickness covers. I will put a stock "peanut" on the starter clutch side to keep the motor clean for the buyer. It has new (one track day) NGK plugs. The valve clearances have not needed adjusting which means the valves and seats are still in great shape. Let me know if I can answer any questions. Thanks again

6. Old school

Old school Member

I'll try to be as specific as possible. This motor is a rebuilt 88-89 FZR400 US model. The head is not ported but has a 5 angle valve job on new (in 2002) intake valves with new valve springs. The head has been milled .020" and the pistons are Yamaha 1mm over. The bottom end is completely stock accept for an aftermarket clutch. The bearings, races, pistons and cylinder walls were in exceptional condition when I tore down the motor in 2012. It has been run at two track days in 2018 since then. The motor has always been stored with marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and occasionally started for fun and to keep the carbs sort of clear. The motor is currently in my track day bike so I don't see what pictures would do for anyone. I am selling the motor with no carbs, flywheel, pickup, or race thickness covers. I am asking $750. Please let me know if I can provide any more information. Thanks again

7. fireman343

fireman343 Well-Known Member

Oh damn!!! I need this motor ASAP! Mines getting a bit tired! Let me see what I can do.. race season is coming to an end for me so funds will open up a bit here soon

8. Old school

Old school Member

OK! Thanks Brian #4. Let me know if I can answer any questions

9. Old school

Old school Member

Just checking in with the WERA crowd to remind everyone my motor is still for sale. Let me know if I can answer any questions. Thanks again and good luck at the GNF. I regret not going in 2004 so if you're on the fence, broke, and thinking enough is enough remember that you have the rest of your life to pay off your racing expenses. Think of it like this, If you are disciplined enough to be successful at the track you will be as successful or more in life away from the track when you apply the same level of dedication.