1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loud ass generators are not even remotely friendly

Discussion in 'General' started by roy826ex, Feb 19, 2016.

1. vance

vance *

Some levity amid the hurricane here in Naples:
    When I quit racing for the 10th time I sold my EU2000. I have a work geny and it's good enough, but I do feel guilty firing it up at the track. Stuck in Dallas, looking at CL, I see an EU2000 started but never used, feared Harvey would reach Dallas, selling for $800 so I pick it up.
    Neighbors stopped in today to gather a few things from their home. Their daughter has power so they're staying across town. Chat a bit and they ask if we are staying in the house. I say yeah, I have a generator running a small AC unit for the master bed and bath, a lamp and chargers for cell phones etc.
    "you have a generator?"
    "Yep"
    "And it's running right now?"
    "Yep"
    "How come I don't hear it but the neighbor's I can hear from 2 doors down and across the street?"
    "Because I'm a courteous guy"
    He didn't get the reference :)

V5 Racer and t11ravis like this.
  2. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Ha ha

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

4. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Mongo, that noisy old generator I bought off of you however long ago did just fine for us this week. Don't care if the neighbors didn't like it, I didn't have to dump all the refrigerators and freezers.

To be fair, you couldn't hear it when you stood in front of the house. You couldn't sleep in the house when it was running, but that was a small price to pay.

VFR#52 likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Holy crap! I totally forgot where that thing went :D

VFR#52 likes this.
  6. vance

vance *

Are you in FL or Texas? Hope all is well. Again, this was meant to be a joke. The street sounds like pits at a race, it's all good. Lots of snowbirds here in Naples so 3 doors down the couple that watches 7 houses on the street were told to clean out the fridges and freezers. We ate like kings for the last 2 nights! Fillets and veggies for about 10 people! People are starting to come back and there are semis with generators selling on some of the street corners. Loud ass generators are like gold right now here in Naples. :)

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

When the power goes out in out neighborhood I always end up with neighbors at my house drinking beer.
    The inverter Yamaha has easily paid for it self.

V5 Racer likes this.
  8. vance

vance *

I loaned my work geny to the guy 3 doors down that house sits. It's a party at his house every night for the handful of us that are here. The only way my story could have been better was if I had loaned my loud ass geny to the neighbor across the street :)

9. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

In beer?

wrx_02 likes this.
  10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You loaned your genny to a band?

11. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm in Atlanta. Compared to the folks in Florida we got off scott-free. There is some damage for some people, but I came out of it with a couple broken branches at our rental property. I can deal with that shit. Two houses in our neighborhood got hit by trees, and some folks in the next neighborhood got their houses flattened.

I have nothing to bitch about.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If it wasn't for the gennies in the hood I couldn't sleep. I've slept like the dead this week lol.

13. vance

vance *

We rock the block until the 9:00 curfew.
    Oh and you guys always do those rants:
    1. I'm a grown man, or at least a large child and I'm perfectly capable of being out past 9:00
    2. I'm perfectly capable of operating a gas can, or at least I used to be. For the love of Pete you can't pour gas from a can anymore. Takes 3 people.

14. vance

vance *

We have 3 small roof leaks from a tree and a huge mango tree landed on the rub rail of our boat, barely a scratch. Absolute miracle. Racer buddy in Marathon lost everything in his house. I'm not bitching.

Razr likes this.
  15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Back to generators, I went to the Hershey RV Show today and stopped at Cummins to check out their rv gennies. They fired up the 6000 diesel on a cart stand. It sounded like either my EU1000i or my EU200i...I couldn't tell which. I think it was a combination of the 1000 running at speed and the 2000 at idle.
    Pretty amazing and crazy stupid low fuel usage compared to their gas 5500. But, yeah, it's $$$.

V5 Racer likes this.
  16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Truth right there. If some asshole would wake me up at 5:30 AM by blipping a TZ outside my window I'd feel right at home.

badmoon692008, V5 Racer and VFR#52 like this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cummins is Onan, nice stuff.

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yup. The Cummins/Onan gennies really do appear to be top shelf.

The diesel's engine is a Kubota, looked like a 3 cyl. Rep told me Cummins doesn't actually make any small engines. :D

19. vance

vance *

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, my 12.5kw is a Kubota engine, Onan genset.