1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loud ass generators are not even remotely friendly

Discussion in 'General' started by roy826ex, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Best money you can spend hands down.

2. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Do you have 2 AC's Shawn?

3. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Just 1

4. t11ravis

Hell, I bet you can't even hear that thing when you're inside!

omatter34 likes this.
  5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

He and I recently had this same discussion ..

I just want to power the garage. :)

6. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

7. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

I back-feed through a dedicated breaker.

8. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

My house came setup like that and it has a seperate interlock switch next to the generator plug in. Haven't needed to use it yet.

9. Next time we are all together, you and Joe can talk to my dad about how he did his.

It is mounted remotely (in a separate room in the back of his shop) and plumbed into Propane. There is one of those oval white Propane tanks out back (that looks like a bigass "Beats Pill").

All of the cables between the generator to the house are inside a pipe, and the pipe is buried 18" below the ground.

IIRC it puts out 10k. He was without power for like 2 weeks or some shit after Katrina. So he got a permanent generator that can power the entire place without having to "skimp". It can run the Central heat/air, microwave, fridge, all the lights, TVs, etc all at the same time.

He demonstrated it to me after the crew finished installing the system. He killed the main breaker to the house and the generator came online so fast that he didn't even have to reset the clocks; it is instantaneous.

Since it is out in a separate building, we had to go outside to the unit to even notice that we weren't on land power anymore. It is a sweet setup.

10. t11ravis

Lots of people/ businesses around here have that setup, probably for the same reason.
    It's really incredible to watch it click over. Almost seamless.

11. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

Since I know you're such a stickler for details -- that "pipe" would be correctly referred to as a "conduit", or even more specifically a "raceway". In practical lexicon, pipes generally carry fluid, and conduits generally carry solid stuff. Conduit is also a technically correct name for a pipe, although people would assume you mean electrical conduit.

So... while all pipes are conduits, all raceways are conduits, not all conduits are pipes OR raceways.

I'm just here to help make Broome... "more Broome". :D

12. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

I cannot believe you heathens are still using generators. Any sane sensible person runs off batteries. Can't stand it when a guy next to me is running those super loud, smelly, and hot generators. Not like it's not hot enough out let alone using a fire hot generator making it hotter for everyone.

13. Thanks. :D

Hydraulics are my thing. When it comes to electric shit, it's all cables and pipes. Haha

14. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

I don't know much about any of it, LOL. I just have to know what carries what so when I sit in project meetings I don't look like a complete dipshit. Once I'm past the nomenclature, I might as well be doing Chinese algebra.

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Cabela's has the Yammy EF3000iS on sale for $1299 right now.

TLR67 likes this.
  16. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I'm seeing $1,709.99 on the website. Did you see that price in the store?

cajun636 likes this.
  17. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I've got 4 seasons on my champion 2000w inverter, maybe 5-600hrs. Our 4 seasons is probably more like 2 down south. I change the oil every year and run ethanol free fuel in it, it starts first pull if it's been running or 3-4 if it's been sitting for a few weeks. It's quiet enough and I paid $650CAD for it.

cajun636 likes this.
  18. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Yep, wife sent me a picture.

19. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Called my local store and its regular price, but 20% back if you use a Cabela's credit card. Wonder how Honda East compares to this ........

20. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

I got the idea from another thread but I recently bought a Predator 3500 from Harbor Freight and it's quieter than my EU2000, good size tank, parallel capabilities, electric start, etc. $699.00, but all they had left was the display so they gave me 20% off.