1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lots of gun threads, what about a knife thread?

Discussion in 'General' started by studio819, Dec 11, 2012.

1. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Depends what you want to do with it and what you anticipate cutting and how much maintenance you are going to give it - diff steels might requrie more work to sharpen but last a little longer e.g. N690C. My go to knife is a Spyderco Endura 4 (upgrade is en route) but the PM2 is a sweet blade also - check out the black blade in digicam, I think it's alright. Typical spyderco offers different steels (s30v, s35VN, s60V, vg10, N690c, ZDP-189 etc), grinds, serrations & handle materials available depending on your tastes, but both are relatively light, simple everyday knife with decent sized blades and handles and quick to deploy with multiple carry options - hard to fault. I have had 2 partial serrated enduras and am going back to straight blade - although the serration is nice to keep it cutting when the straight blade dulls, there just isnt a satisfactory amount of straight blade there to begin with IMO. Not sure in US but I thought allowable length was state by state.

2. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Kershaw Leek. I lost mine about 2 weeks ago and I still feel depressed.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I still have my Ginsu set from the 80's.

Never had to cut open a tin can, but it's done its share of tomatoes. :D

I carry a Schrade SCH911.

4. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Columbia River Knife & Tool

5. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

I always have a Spyderco on me, the Endura 4 is my personal favorite...

6. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Glad to see lots of Kershaw fans.

I first got a 1980, someone previously had it pictured with 3 other knives.

Love the tanto blade on that, Steels not the best but it was 30 bucks and for that price i wont feel bad if i loose it.

I bought a Kershaw Onion after that and i frigging loved that thing till i lost it.

I cant keep blowing $100 on EDC's so i bought a Kershaw 1970. Better steel than 1980 but not as good as the Ken Onion.

BTW, i just friggin LOVE that assist opening.

Another few points i'd like to add.

You have no idea how useful a blade is until you have it on you. I'm flipping the folder out dozens of times a day. In fact, after 6 months of having one, i feel naked when i dont have it on me.

Also, a good sharpening method/kit is a must. I have a Lansky sharpening kit with three stones, oil and blade holder. Its great! take all guesswork from sharpening a consistent edge

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  7. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

I am a SOG guy...plus they are local to me, which is a plus

8. speedracer170

speedracer170 Well-Known Member

I've always been a Gerber fan, never really liked the price of them tho.

9. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Benchmade with their top tier customer service, axis locks, quality, and being made in America. My EDC is an Osborne Design Rift, a Nimravus for hiking/camping, and a Griptillian for work.

I also really like Esee for back country hiking/survival knifes.

I have a pretty cool Microtech Automatic OTF DA as well, but it's mostly a toy since most people including me can not legally use it for an EDC. The quality of it surpasses Benchmades equivalent, the Infidel, in my opinion. Unfortunately Microtech seems to have the worst possible reputation of premium knife makers. Pretty disappointing for a nearly $500 knife.

Kershaw and Spyderco have to be some of the best valued knives in my mind. I've been happy with both as work knives.

I have a number of Columbia River knives but am really apprehensive with them anymore. There's been to many issues-failures in my view from their locking systems.

10. pkaustin

pkaustin Well-Known Member

11. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

What do you guys use to sharpen your knives?

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Benchmade- Mel Pardue is my daily. Or my SOG Blink once in a while. I prefer AUS 8 steel. Just remembered I have CRKT Ryan Plan B as well. Carried it for a while now it's mostly cutting stuff in the kitchen lol.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  13. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

http://lansky.com/index.php/regular/

The cheapest three stone system on that page will do a great job. I'm talking shave your face with it good. You clamp the blade in. The holder and a rod guides it through a jig that keeps your angles perfect. You can select different angles, depending on your desired use and blade steel.

14. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Strider. I own several, its all I carry. Plus its cost will help ensure you never lose it.

15. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

My Al Mar Auto SERE from a customer / friend. One of the nicest things anyone ever gave me. Can never go wrong with tools and toys! Hahaha
    [​IMG]
    If I didn't carry this I'd probably carry a Spyderco or Benchmade.

For sharpening: idiot proof, shave sharp, good working edge angle, does serrations, scissors, even fishhooks: I sharpen my knife about once a month cause it gets used daily.
    http://m.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

[​IMG]

16. jb_11

jb_11 Well-Known Member

Another Spyderco fan here

17. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

I carry s&w boot knife 24/7 even in my sleep

18. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

Kershaw all the way

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  19. studio819

studio819 Well-Known Member

ok so the Kershaw seems to get a lot of plugs in this thread, I'll have to check them out. And yes, I have had times where I could have used a knife and didn't have one and I am sure there are other times that I could have used a knife on me and didn't even think about it because I don't normally carry one.

Looking primarily for a good knife for generic use. Easy to flip open one handed, not going to risk chopping a hunk of finger off closing it. And being as this would be my first knife I don't need to drop $180 on a knife and I doubt I will take care of it as religiously as I should

20. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Olive...qid=1355320593&sr=8-6&keywords=kershaw+knives