1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lost title

Discussion in 'General' started by devitto, Sep 21, 2018.

1. devitto

devitto Well-Known Member

i have a 06 gsxr 600 that i bought new never registered the bike was used only on a race track lost the title in sandy. looking to put it on the street but i heard without the title nys dmv is big problems anybody have experience with this. thanks

2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

If you had a title, you can apply for a lost title replacement to the state that issued the title you lost.

If you had only a MSO and never titled the vehicle, you may very well have a bigger problem.

BigBird likes this.
  3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Proof of purchase and the selling dealer should be able to get a duplicate MSO.

VFR#52, Montoya and RightSideUp like this.
  4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Just ride, Brando would've.

5. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Some states have lost title procedures for older low value vehicles. In Missouri there is a process if the vehicle is more than 7 years old and worth less than $3k IIRC.

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I went through this same thing and spoke with the right people at Suzuki USA. They Cannot get a dupe MSO for one that old. Your only option is a bonded title. Cost about 300 bucks but will get you on the street

devitto likes this.
  7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I thought you could get a maine or vermont title by mail, as long as the vin does not come back as stolen,then once you have the VT or ME title transfer it to your state. I just can't recall which one of those 2 yankee states it is that people use to get new titles that way.

8. Uncle Snake

Uncle Snake Well-Known Member

An out of state vehicle needs a LEO or VT DMV to verify the VIN before you can get a VT title. I live here and had to go through it again last year when I registered my ZX10R last registered in NY State. Not sure if an out of state LEO is allowable though.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I think VT & ME were for "Off Road" bikes folks were trying to make road legal. Otherwise a bonded title.

10. devitto

ill try that thanks

11. devitto

thanks everyone