1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loss of power at high rev's - 2003 600RR

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyTide, Jul 21, 2016.

1. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Okay. Raced at RRR this past Sunday. Race #3 - C Superstock, 8 lap race, and on lap 7 it was down on power pulling out of T's 8 & 9 particularly in 3rd/4th gears, and then really down on power on last lap out of same turns & gears. Only reason I even went to 4th was just to hope it would go, but it did the same, and I'd downshift back to 3rd hoping it would clear out whatever was going on. It would slooowly accelerate, but not the typical strong pull. It never was a sluggish pull, it literally just wouldn't pull worth a damn! Yes, I was revving it out before upshifting.... I'm not a noob. :)

Checked the air filter first thing, and it looked good, and was told to check fuel filter next, but good rains came, so stopped all mechanic'ing, and started packing up since it was undiagnosed, and with rain I sat out my 2nd race.

2003 600RR - ~ 27K miles (last 15k are track/racing).

Any idea's on what to check & look for?

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Does the tone of the engine change at those RPMs, i.e. possibly a cylinder misfiring?

15k track/racing miles is a pretty good amount, even for a bike as tough as a 600rr. Ever been refreshed? Leak-down test recently done? Any electronic goodies that could be causing issues?

3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Clutch issues?

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

^Ah, yes. That makes a lot of sense too. Especially since it seems to manifest in the meat of the rev-range when the clutch plates are under the most stress.

5. Fuel pressure? Pump could be weak. What do the plugs look like?

6. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

How old is your battery?

stickboy274 and Focker like this.
  7. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Here's what I'd check in this order.

Good Fuel
    Battery connections
    Spark plugs/pencil coils
    Compression
    Clutch wear

Rich Graver likes this.
  8. Chip

Chip Registered

Loss of power comes stock on a 2003 CBR600..... :)

9. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

:crackup:

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah. I think it's most noticeable when exiting a corner near an R6.

11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Beat me to it

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  12. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I say clutch

13. dimitri

dimitri Active Member

Very similar issue happened to a friend, turned out to be coils.

14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Dammit. Word for word, beat me to it.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

if it was clutch, wouldnt it be worse out of 2nd gear corners compared to 3rd/4th?

i guess fueling problem.

16. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Check fuel pressure. Clutch should be noticeable because it'll rev like normal or way faster but not go anywhere...

17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

all that stuff above.. and verify ya have 14vt at the battery terminals when you hold 5000 rpm. if the stator is going, ya wont' have enough juice to power the plugs and injectors at higher rpm.

18. SpeedyTide

Okay..... ya'll prolly gonna rip me a new one....

Bone stock (OEM) motor. Still has original spark plugs & original clutch w/no slippage that I can tell, and I don't use the clutch when upshifting.

Forgot to mention earlier, it wouldn't start after we'd checked the air filter. Let it sit another 30-45 min or so, and tried it again and it slowly fired up, so we then tested the battery, and it was getting a charge (~ 13 volts). Battery connections were good. The battery is 3 years old.

19. SpeedyTide

Fairly certain not the clutch. And yes, there was no difference in revving at any point.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  20. SpeedyTide

This is actually true!:D