1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to get involved in endurance racing

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by Graham Hall, Apr 6, 2022.

1. Graham Hall

Graham Hall Member

presently only doing some AHRMA road racing
    Looking for some advice on how to get started with endurance racing
    Based central Florida
    Would ideally like to put together a team
    What would be a good starter bike
    Any other information or perhaps contact details of knowledgeable folks
    Thanks
    Graham

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

A Ninja 400 and do the ULTW 2 hour, or get a CBR 600RR and go MWT. Both bikes should let you just ride and focus on having fun.

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

An SV650 should let you do both endurance racing and AHRMA racing.

4. Graham Hall

Graham Hall Member

Thanks for your information

5. Graham Hall

Graham Hall Member

Yes I do like the SV
    Thanks

6. Graham Hall

Graham Hall Member

Very true
    Thanks

7. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

SV650!

<---------These two rippers are looking for a SV650 seat.

Their old man use to race endurance and has ran the pits for other teams. The family brings lots of "help".

Plan is to endurance on Saturday and then they will race their 400's on Sunday.

No, we are not interested in using our equipment to do lightweight endurance. Current chassis have very low hours and would like to keep it that way.

8. stickboy274

I used to say SV also, but the parts are getting older. The spares you find are just as old.

9. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Would you recommend the ninja 400 in its place?

10. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Village Idiots who run CMRA endurance are on a 400 and do very well. I think it's a favorable platform.

11. FastByKids

If my information is correct, when I looked into this the 400 (LW) are limited to their own lower hour endurance race. They don't get to compete with the big boy bikes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

12. stickboy274

The Ninja 400 is a great option. You will have to run the 2h instead of the 4 h races, but you can buy a new low mileage bike to go race. CBR600RR are great option. Honda reliability is real.

13. FastByKids

My inner nerd and geek has investigated the YZF-R7. I'm thinking this will be a great platform for a endurance bike.

Inverted front forks
    Dual front brakes
    Slipper Clutch
    Quick Shifter
    72Hp

Team Miller might be on the look out for a theft recovery or crashed example to turn into a Endurance weapon!

I'll have to get with Jesse with Norton Motorsports to educate myself on the latest tips / tricks / setup...

14. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

3rd gen SV is the way to go. 2017-current.

Shenanigans likes this.
  15. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

Small stock fuel tank, 3.4 gallons.

16. FastByKids

Well, that was a kick in the nutz, all advantages gained are gone. Blah

17. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

Well, you can make a bigger tank, I suppose, or use the slightly bigger FZ/MT o7 tank (3.7 gals I think).

18. FastByKids

Last I read the endurance rules was about 18 years ago. From my memory once the gas tank is altered it takes you out of Superstock and bumps you up into the high hp motors of superbike.

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

There are no more superstock endurance classes in LW, MW and HWT. They are all superbike. Which means if you are serious, you need a big tank and dry breaks/dump can. Superstock rules still apply in the 2 hour ULW race (R3, Ninja 400)

20. FastByKids

Well, slap me up the head with the rule book and call me stupid! :crackup:

Supersport rules was a great equalizer. Teams making gambles on if they could push a rear the whole race. And everyone doing the dump can on stock tanks. Little guys could stack a team, show up on low budgets and push for a podium position.

So I guess the bigger budget teams with dry breaks, quick tire setups, custom tanks, slightly built top ends, and changing tires are dominating? That's not fun!