1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for input on restoring an old dirty bike

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Dec 14, 2021.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

My first dirt bike that is. A 1988 CR 125 specifically. Nothing imminent, but they pop up for sale every so often, and I have an eye on one about an hour from here. As you can imagine, they're normally pretty rough given they're 33 years old now.

My ultimate goal, I think, would be to get it to showroom condition, and dick around on it at the farm, and possibly do vintage harescramble/MX races with it, given good conditions.

I've talked to my local parts hound, and he says there's no master list of available parts, and that he would have to check each part individually as I inquire about them. That sounds less than promising...

There's a guy on FB Marketplace that sells vintage plastics, seat covers and various other things as a last resort if OEM aren't available.

As I recall when I was a teen and owned this bike, the cylinder couldn't be bored or sleeved, and had to be replaced. I'm curious if that's changed from 30 years ago, and someone like Millennium or National Cylinder could do something today?

Other than the engine and some suspension components, I would think the rest could be sourced pretty easily.

Any outlets for older, vintage dirt bike parts to be sourced?

Other thoughts or ideas?

Thanks

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

VMD. Visit the swap meet.

3. eggfooyoung

Ah, yes. 7/22-7/24 2022

Thanks!

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Although a little newer, I'm in the process of restoring a 96 YZ250. I was shocked at all the parts I found for mid 80's models. Millennium will be getting my cylinder this winter. I've found almost everything for my 96. Start googling...I restored a 71 SL125 a few years ago and found everything for it too.

5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Dirt bikes are so basic that they are always a fun, easy restoration job. Honda made roughly 368 billion of those things. Parts are out there. Buy one, hang out on eBay, and join some Facebook groups. It'll be fun.

DmanSlam likes this.
  6. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I have a small collection of NOS parts left from when we closed the shop. Should be a couple of CR parts in there.

racer_11 and YamahaRick like this.
  7. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Not sure about that one. All the stuff at VMD was rough and severely overpriced. Lots of stuff that spends 360 days a year as someone's lawn ornaments.

OldGuyOnBlu likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Most of it yeah but there are good things in there from what I've seen people come back with.

9. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

There are some gems, and if you wait last minute maybe you get a deal from a seller who finally breaks down an hour before they have to pack up. Just would look around now rather than wait.

10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Don't discount swap meets. Just be prepared to do a lot of talking and walking. I got an extremely good deal on a Ducati Bronco at one. You might find just what you need, or perhaps take home something that you didn't need at all.

11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You can find parts. The easiest thing is to be good friends with a parts dude that has lightspeed and can/will sit on the computer and search dealers that have older inventory. A LOT of times, you can score stuff from dealers that are happy to clear their shelves.

Obviously ebay will have some shit too.

Send me the engine and Ill go through it. I would start with a complete rebuild including crank/rod. Even if yours is ok, the newer stuff is much better quality IMO.

The hardest stuff will be cosmetic and like airbox pieces, side plates (unless you go aftermarket). Relace the wheels also.

12. eggfooyoung

Well, if you don't mind looking.

Thanks

13. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

When I eventually get home.

14. eggfooyoung

No worries, thanks!

dtalbott likes this.
  15. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I'm close to tackling my YZ250H that I bought back when my good friend said the guy he sold it to, wanted to get rid of it. Has a nice selection of IT250 components installed, as I made had made it more H.S. and cross-country ready.
    After that, my IT490K...

YamahaRick and dtalbott like this.
  16. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

I am in the process of restoring 1985 CR250R, you can find a lot of parts on eBay or NOS but there will be instances where part is not available at the moment. In that case just be patient and it will pop up on flebay or…
    Powerseal USA is another good option for your cylinder head needs. Here are few pictures of my project at the start and some of the refurbished parts.

Attached Files:

17. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

I would be interested if you have some ‘85 CR250R stuff…!

dtalbott likes this.
  18. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I've done a few for friends figure conservatively $6,000 it can go as high as 10k depending on the level of restoration. If you're paying somebody to do it all,add a few grand. And set aside 1 year if your dilligent.
    There's virtually nothing that you can't source
    " within reason ". Some things take longer than others depending upon the bike..

19. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Whats your process for getting those aluminum parts so shiny & new?

20. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

One pretty basic suggestion is, start with a complete bike, the better the condition the easier the restoration. Ditto on the budget. A basic decision to make is, restoring to showroom condition? Or restoring to race ready? Choose one or the other. Lots of difference. It will only be showroom condition until you ride it hard, just like when it was new.

And just an observation from experience relating to racing a 33 year old bike—dirt bikes, especially two strokes, especially 125s, eat parts. Just like they did when they were new. Which means your continuing parts needs for consumable stuff like pistons, reeds, gaskets, air filters, clutches, chains, sprockets, brakes, fork seals, handlebars, seat covers, decals, will be just like when it was new.

eggfooyoung likes this.