1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for FZR400 Experts

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by OWO1, Sep 1, 2016.

1. OWO1

OWO1 Well-Known Member

Beeb,
    I stumbled upon and quickly purchased a 92 FZR400RRSP and am looking for some feedback from those that know these bikes, I do not. Always wanted one but don't have any experience with them.

My experience is in the OW01 /YZF750SP realm so I know Yamaha kit/YEC/SUGO.

It is a zero mile bike, apparently the full SUGO race kit was bought and installed and then never raced. Was stored in Japan then shipped to the US in 09 where it remained in a collection.

Currently living in Norway so haven't seen the bike but a good friend inspected the bike and confirmed it is real.

If anyone with experience with these has observations or recommendations I'm all ears...Just trying to figure out exactly what I got. After 24 years of inactivity will need some love to get back on the track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Steve at SpeedWerks or Brian Roach would be the definitive source on these.

Stumpy, fzrkidd and notbostrom like this.
  3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Whoa! :bow:

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Very nice! I haven't seen that airbox before. I like the replaceable upper fairing stays as well... need to track those down. Here in the US I'd steer you towards Steve at Speedwerks for knowledge on that machine. Also, I call dibs if it goes for sale, which I will then have to retract once I realize my wallet is empty.

5. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Yep, saw that on FB. Glad I didn't have the cash laying around, it was a great price.

6. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

How much?

7. cnp1608

cnp1608 Member

Buy it now price on EBay was 5000

8. OWO1

OWO1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Bee forgot about SpeedWorks, shot you a PM.

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Interesting airbox. I built one like that for my racebike, but it had a different intake (it was aluminum). Interesting also that it has working EXUP (apparently) and the stock sized radiator. I had to put a ZX-7 rad on mine to keep it cool here in the Southeast US. I worked on a couple SP models that my customers had, they are nice frames and swingarms. Likely a very low serial number on that one.

10. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

Dude I want it lol

11. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

You're the only one with anything like this. What a find.

12. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

That EXUP is *rare*. The standard FZR-era EXUP is an oscillating wedge across the 4-abreast header; what you see there is a square-4 arrangement with 2 butterflys on each of 2 stacked shafts geared together.

13. OWO1

OWO1 Well-Known Member

Rick,
    I was wondering about cooling on it, considering it also has rad fins cut for the ramair. How easy is it to mount a ZX7 unit?

Don,
    Have you seen an EXUP like this before? Wondering if it is a race kit item. Trying to source a YEC manual for the 400.

thanks beeb!

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I thought I saw the YEC race kit manuals for 400s on ebay just recently?

15. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

It is a kit exhaust; it allowed bigger headers and an improved collector design. BDK RaceEngineering offers headers and their version of the kit EXUP valve for the 400.

16. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

17. OWO1

OWO1 Well-Known Member

Don / RGV500,

Thanks for the link to BDK! That's some cool stuff!

18. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I did a YZF600 radiator and it was pretty easy. Bottom outlet I cut and turned 90 deg welded it and it lined right up. Top inlet I left stock and used a few elbows bought at lowes.

19. OWO1

OWO1 Well-Known Member

SSRT, thanks for the info mate.

Is the rear shock rebuildable? Anyone have a nice aftermarket unit for sale?

20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Not that hard. Had to fabricate some aluminum mounting brackets and used two hoses I found in the shop (this was many years ago) from some other bikes, just to get the bends right. Did it easily in an afternoon. I usually had to run tape, but when it was 105 at Tally or Memphis, the bike ran perfectly cool.