1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for a little dual sport

Discussion in 'General' started by ton, Aug 15, 2013.

1. ton

ton Arf!

Hi all, i'm wanting a used 250 dual sport. it'll mostly do commuter duty, with a bit of fire-road tearing around.

i've already got a KTM 450, so i'm definitely looking for the smaller bike.

there are several Kawi KLX250's around and a few Yamaha WR250's. the Yam's are more expensive.

advice on "best" one to get and if there are major pros and cons to the bikes and model years? (the years i'm looking at are 2008-2010 in each of those bikes)

thanks!

2. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

I have a 2009 KLX250 SF that I use as my commuter. Overall, it gets the job done, but it's pretty uninspiring.

Beware. The thing has the worst stock seat of any bike I've ever ridden, and I've ridden hundreds. After 15 minutes, I'd be in pain and my junk would be tingly and numb. I threw a Corbin saddle on it that wasn't much better. Still suffered from tingly bits syndrome and the edge contours were so abrupt they cut off the circulation in my leg when at a stop. I got rid of the Corbin and went with replacement foam and cover from Seat Concepts. It's a little better, but I'd never be able to make it through a 1.5 gallon tank (yes, 1.5 gallons) in one trip without repositioning frequently. It really is that bad.

Edit- Oh, and if you'll be spending time on the freeway, you''l want to go with taller gearing. At 65 mph the thing is squealing like a pig. I would think your 450 would make a much better commuter if you threw some street-ish tires at it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  3. ton

ton Arf!

thanks!

i won't be doing really any freeway. i live and commute in the city and never am really above 40mph. my 450 is really too much bike for that. i'll keep the 450 for other silliness.

and i'm not expecting inspiring. just want functional, reliable, cheap to run, and capable on the occasional fire road. and maybe as a beginner dirtbike for my Harley-riding girlfriend.

4. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

Yamaha TW200?

Not a 250, I know, but they get the job done.

5. ton

ton Arf!

yeah, i do kinda dig the TW200. haven't found reasonably priced used ones around here lately, though. wonder if those fat tires plus sheet metal screws would make it into a good winter commuter? :D

6. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

PM pjdoran....I've always ridden his. He's the Yama-expert, and he'll know a lot more than me.

7. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Guys really seem to like the CRF230 Supermoto bikes quite a bit. Never rode one but that could be what you are looking for. Yamaha XT 225 is also a great economical around town bike.

8. MagentaZz

MagentaZz Well-Known Member

Last month I did a lot of comparing and reading around on the Kawasaki KLX250sf (klx250s=dirt); the Suzuki DRZ, and the Yamaha WR250X (wr250r=dirt). I knew right away I wanted the street versions to get the 17" wheels; years ago I had a 2006 Kawasaki KLR650 and highway riding was rather dangerous with the big front wheel; it always wanted to go into a tank slapper. I wanted a commuter that was easy to toss around, keep my speed in check, save gas money, and look good.

Suzuki was quickly off my list; the best comment it had really was the 400, but I didn't want a 400. I wanted a 250. Comfort wasn't there and it only had a 5 speed. More klx's were available to me and while I liked its overall styling of the headlight, I was leaning more towards the WR for its fuel injection. Weight was the same on both. There were several articles comparing these 2 specifically and more and more I fell in love with the WR. The WR was also several inches taller and I liked that too. My decision was made. I had to be patient because there were very few WR x's around; I ended up traveling 2 1/2 hours for a 2010 and I couldn't be happier. It's my commuter, it pulls acceptable up to about 85 (indicated) and tops out at 95mph indicated. I get 65mpg highway or 70 city. I ride it every day and have put over 1200 miles on it just the past 5 weeks, not only commuting but just riding it any chance I get!

I could ride this thing all day long. We are even going to take them to Deals Gap and do some of the dual sport trails next month. I have a friend who has a KLX and she complains the seat is awfully uncomfortable and she'll have to trailer!

p.s. I also looked into the Honda 230. Reviews were alright but it didn't do so well when it came to constant highway riding so I had to pass.

1370407246-105.JPG_m.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'd go wr250x or r, or crf250l depending on how much you wanna spend and how much trouble you wanna get into...

10. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I've got a WR250R and I've ridden with a few KLX's. The stock tanks on all of them suck if you want to go more than 100 miles. As a commuter that shouldn't be a problem but you might be stopping by the gas station more due to the small capacity. I put a bigger IMS tank on my WR and that was a good mod.

Performance-wise I like the WR over the rest. I can't really quantify that more than it seems like I just have an easier time on dirt and trials with mine. The power is good (I add a FMF fuel programmer) and the wide ratio transmission gives good options for dirt or street.

The only negative I've run into with mine is that replacement plastics are hard to come by. That's it! Stock it was good enough. The mods I added made it better for my uses. I see you're in SLC and I've done two rides from there: Tour of Idaho and SLC to Denver by way of Moab. That's a good variety of conditions and the WR handled it all really well.

11. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

biggest advantage of the yamaha is the fuel injection. pretty sure the kwak is still carbed bike. if you ride at different elevations, that's worth the extra money right there...

overall the WRr or x (17" wheels) would be the best IMHO from what you are looking for. very little maintenance and with a few well placed mods (bigger tank, fuel programmer, exhaust, seat) it will do just about anything you would want to do..

12. ton

ton Arf!

thanks to everyone! :up:

i guess i was expecting the WR to be the bike of choice, but was hoping ya'll would convince me the KLX was "good enough" considering the price difference. looks like fuel injection is going to win here..

13. AndyR1

AndyR1 Well-Known Member

I just bought a used 2011 Yamaha WR250Xand love it.

14. bella749

bella749 Well-Known Member

I had a KLX250SF... It has a lower seat height vs most other DS/motards. Not a bad bike, but gutless. Handled better than expected off-road, real twitchy at highway speed. If the wife had longer legs, I would have gone with the Yamaha, Honda or DRZ.

15. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Love my wr250x also. :beer:

16. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I ride my wife's DR200SE on Sunday afternoons from time to time. Its great around town and on gravel backroads. I often find a side road/trail I head off down. Its a little small but doesn't seem to bother me even after 100 miles on it. Seat is typical 4x4 brutal after 20 miles or so. It's not fast or very quick. Tops out about 70 mph but gets through the gears good. It has a 3.4 gal stock tank and gets 60 mpg so range not an issue. Very easy to work on and maintain.

These things can be found used for under $2k. Suzuki stopped making them after 2009 which is the year model her bike is. She bought it new in 2010. They have started making them again since and and a new one is a little pricey like everything else now days.

17. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

What a good price for a used wr? $4000-$5000 for a 2008-2011 is what I'm seeing.

18. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Got my 08 for 3. I see that they looked like they have been climbing up in price here recently. To me 4 is way on the high end but that may be different in youre area.

19. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

New 2014 CRF250L goes for around 5 grand. No rocket ship but a blast to ride, FI and liquid cooled.

20. ton

ton Arf!

best i've seen on low mileage '08 is ~$3500