1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking at home security systems, your thoughts?

Discussion in 'General' started by USracer900, Jun 4, 2020.

1. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

I did a search and read through a few threads, seems like wifi systems will take care of 99% of robbers. I'm looking at Simpli Safe, would be about $500 for the hardware, plus maybe $15-$30/month for monitoring. (I install everything) Is this pretty much the way to go these days? How do they compare to an outfit like ADT? What's to prevent a robber from simply cutting our fiber optic line and disabling our internet/wifi? It's easily accessible on the side of the house.

Thanks for the advice!

2. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

SimpliSafe uses a cell signal and backup battery so cutting lines / power won’t work. Unless they cut it, and then wait 3-4 days for the backup battery to run out, and then break in. But you would get a notice that power lost anyways.

I haven’t researched this stuff in a while, but I use SimpliSafe and am satisfied.

USracer900 likes this.
  3. Marid2apterbilt

Marid2apterbilt Well-Known Member

I use suretyhome.com, alarm.com affiliate.

Using WiFi for alarm system you will probably be changing batteries in sensors ALOT.

Get a standalone system. I was looking to upgrade my simonxt last year but put a new 4g lte cell card in it instead. Was really leaning toward the QOLSYS system they offer and it was backwards compatible to my old sensors.

Cellular uplink is the only way to go. IMHO.

Many home automation platforms/hubs can be setup to monitor compatible security sensors. But there are definitely flaws. Keep your security and Automation separate.

USracer900 likes this.
  4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Dog.
    Shotgun.
    Done.

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You trained your dog to use the shotgun when you aren't home?!
    That's impressive!

6. Chasbro

Chasbro Well-Known Member

For those on a budget or looking for a simple solution, Amazon has the Wyze cam for $25. Set up is easy and the motion detector will notify you and you can look to see if there is a problem. It even detects your smoke alarm. Used in conjunction with a German shepherd it works pretty well.

USracer900 likes this.
  7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I have the Simplisafe system. Overall I’ve been happy with it, but I’ve fortunately not had to put it to the test. If it’s activated, it will call your phone first to check and see if it’s an emergency and if you don’t answer it routes to your local emergency response. I believe you can disable that safety net entirely and it’ll route immediately to 911.

They have some nice features such as a big ass panic button you can place where ever you want, as well as a loud siren.

I’m content with it and feel it will give me enough notice to respond with the appropriate force.

USracer900 likes this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

Take your pick. :D
    6F648ACB-E48E-4E09-815C-47E872309B46.jpeg

9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

USracer900 likes this.
  10. kevinr

kevinr Well-Known Member

I use ring products. They are all z-wave compatible so there are many other products in the market you can buy and add to the system. I control my interior and exterior lights right from my phone. They are also Alexa compatible so if you have echo dots or the Alexa app you can use that too.

USracer900 likes this.
  11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Stay away from ADT and big companies like that. Their equipment is proprietary and will not work with other monitoring systems. They lure you in with cheap installs and then nail you down the road with ridiculous monitoring fees and iron clad contracts. If you decide to go to someone else down the road then you need a whole new system installed. That's why most people just buckle and pay the higher fees. Simplisafe has worked well for me. I have it in three buildings.

USracer900 and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  12. Marid2apterbilt

That's why I went the DIY route, no contract, cheaper monthly monitoring. There is some integration with other systems depending on the equipment you choose.

USracer900 likes this.
  13. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

So glad I live in an area where any of this ^^^^ is a concern . Doors unlocked , keys in the car . The # 1 crime in my area is White Collar crime , embezzlement and phony paper kinda of stuff .

USracer900 and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  14. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I use Frontpoint and have been happy with them for 6+ years and two moves. Cell connection and battery backup.

USracer900 likes this.
  15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Alarm stickers on windows deter thieves the same way bike stickers on trailers attract 'em.

USracer900 likes this.
  16. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

I believe alarms do not mitigate the threat of a break in. They still have enough time to carry out their intent. Dogs and a firearm evens the field.

USracer900 likes this.
  17. Marid2apterbilt

They can be more useful than just alerting you of a break-in.
    Smoke/co2 detectors
    Water leak sensors

I used to leave doors unlocked, windows open, keys in the ignition. Never worried about a thing.
    Then drugs started becoming a issue.

Also groups started targeting the empty vacation and rental cabins. Your dogs aren't gonna call the plumber or shut off the water if a pipe breaks. Or call the fire department.

USracer900 likes this.
  18. USracer900

What if you go on vacation and take your dog?

19. USracer900

Yeah, the long contracts have always been a source of pain for me. Was just curious about the general experiences with them.

20. USracer900

Thanks for all the advice guys! Good to know there's backup with Simpli Safe in case they cut your line. I may end up going with those guys.