1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long-ish Great Plains / Rockies trip advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I take a touring ride with a few friends every year in mid-September. This year we're headed to Bryce Canyon, UT from the Chicago area. That part is for sure, the way there and back is up for grabs. We usually end up going out west so we're very familiar with a stop in Lincoln and a stop in Denver. It's pretty much the only direct route. After that I was considering stopping in Moab and camping to break up the ride out. On the way back instead of just re-tracing our steps I was thinking of heading North to Butte, then Rapid City, then Sioux Falls and then home.

Am I flirting with potential weather issues at elevation heading into Montana at that time of year? I'm familiar with riding in the rockies and the issues that it can bring, but not that far North and certainly not at that time of year. I've never been in that area at all, are these places worth checking out for a night or two or is it not worth the extra time and miles? This will be a two week trip as we're staying in Bryce Canyon for a few nights, so no one is in a rush, but we all do have obligations back home so if it's not worth it I'd rather skip it. The difference in time instead of just heading back home and retracing our steps is two full days. We're not Iron Butt guys or anything like that so we usually try to limit the daily mileage to 700.

Any tips or do's/dont's would be awesome. :beer:

23103a likes this.
  2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Where are you planning to stay around Bryce? If you're camping, I would recommend Kodachrome Basin. It's a nice campground, only a few minutes to Bryce and has some fun little hikes around.
    Plus you get to camp at the base of the great penis.[​IMG]

jrsamples likes this.
  3. Scotty87

we’re in some sort of a hotel/compound type deal. I didn’t plan that end of it. The Lodge, maybe? Something like that.

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Ruby's Inn? It's cool.

5. Scotty87

Cool. What about fire roads/mild ADV bike type shit? I assume there’s a bunch in there area. I’m hoping to be on a Triumph Tiger by that time.

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

We got a huge dump of snow this year in early September, but that was a bit unusual. You should be fine. First big snow usually comes around Halloween.

7. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Nw Co and across the southern tier of WY is nice.
    For hwys, I enjoyed US 12 between Helena and Eau Claire

8. Scotty87

Awesome. I’ve done southern And mid state CO a few times but never northern. Good to hear.

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

There are plenty of fire roads around the area.

10. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Nothing good. :D

That itinerary seems like a huge chunk to bite off in that time....to me. Sounds like a whole bunch of highway to make it work. Your Tigre deserves better, no? I'd suggest you immerse in something a bit more rather than buck shot.

11. baconologist

Spill the beans!

12. Scotty87

It is man, no doubt. I’m at the mercy of the group. Just doing what I can to highlight some good places.

13. Scotty87

nothing to spill. I have my heart set on the 1200 and they seem to be as rare as hens teeth currently. Still looking.

14. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

A cool diversion road on the way to Moab is go south from Grand Junction on 141 (I think that's it). It is longer but takes you through a long canyon road that is very twisty in parts and fun. You have to take another highway to head west to Moab that takes you through the LaSalle mtns. It's a very cool road. The Top Gear guys drove that road when they were out west. Or maybe it was Grand Tour, I forget which show but it was that road and Jeremy commented on how cool the road was.
    Just make sure you have gas because there is nothing for about 100 miles and it's only one way in/out, no side roads out of that canyon. Once you're in, you are committed.

15. baconologist

16. Scotty87

awesome man, thanks.

17. Scotty87

baconologist likes this.
  18. 23103a

23103a Well-Known Member

Yes, goes through Gateway, CO. That's a fantastic road. I was there in June.

[​IMG]

blkduc likes this.
  19. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

As you leave Paradox and past the UT line, there's a dirt road that will take you to La Sal Pass. You can cut through here as a dirt alt to Moab. The 1st half is scenic & very easy. At the pass, take a half day and climb (walk) Mt. Tuk, or do Tuk, Razor Fang to Peale. It you are in to that like I am. The 2nd half of the road is more rocky and difficult to Moab, but I do it on a Ducati, so there's that. Would also recommend camping into the Lockhart Basin.

brex likes this.
  20. Scotty87

Fucking awesome fellas, thanks.