1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locks on safes

Discussion in 'General' started by renegade17, Mar 15, 2016.

1. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Combination or key pad?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Crap! I was hoping this was a thread about how to get into a safe you locked and can't get into. :(

Combo.

3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Jake

Old School Combo, the keypad style are very easily beaten. Send me an email and give you some info.

M

4. trancework

trancework It's always now...

^ There's videos on youtube where a neodymium magnet unlatches the keypad ones in a matter of seconds.

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This. Saved a step.

6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Biometric

7. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I guy I used to work with cracked a combo safe that the company lost the code for... Damn impressive.

8. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Wanna know the combo for the safe we used at the shop until we closed?

9. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

The least y'all could've done is post this BEFORE I bought my gunsafe! :(

Johnny B likes this.
  10. ducrcr

JeJekckkkllckJekckkkllck

11. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

12. ducrcr

This is what happens when you(or at least I) post from your phone and then put it back in your pocket. :rolleyes:

13. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

Anything with an electronic lock will probably have a standard keyway in close proximity in case the power goes out.

OP, What's your price range?

14. renegade17

Due to some funky doorways in my house I am in a holding pattern on the size of the safe, so far everything I have looked at had been in the $500-$1200 range. I haven't really started looking too much yet though.

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I have a keypad on my Cannon TallWide...I was going to get a Combo style and a really good friend who has one advised against it..said it was a PIA, he wished he would have got the Pad instead.
    (Since I don't own any firearms, I use it for Old Vinyl records & HotWheels Collection)

Mine has no key..no reset button inside, is battery powered...if you were to remove the pad and cut the wires it ain't opening easily, with a NeoMag, slimjim, coat hangar...now a plasma cutter or angle grinder..your still gonna be a while.

YMMV

We moved ours rolling it into place upright, on 1-1/4" PVC pipe....Egyptian style...I think we had about 10 or 12 pcs cut...you just have to take your time and keep clear...but it worked like majik.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  16. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

So what do you do if you forget the combo and the batteries die in the mean time?

17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I am not so old I would forget the combo to the safe that has my HotWheels stored inside...
    besides my Wife knows what it is and she Remembers Everything.....LOL
    Combo remains the same...no idea how...it is like a mystery...(but I keep the battery changed every year anyway).

18. renegade17

Britt should we start a vintage hotwheels thread?

Britt likes this.
  19. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Fair enough, I forget my code as I rarely use it, I def can't be trusted with a safe like that.

20. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

So, if you would forget a 4 digit keypad code, how would you remember a L-R-L-R...combo any better??:whoosh:right over my head.....LOL.