1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

locations of corner workers

Discussion in 'General' started by robw122, Aug 16, 2000.

1. robw122

robw122 Well-Known Member

i know corner working is pretty much a thankless job, but i also have been to several tracks where the corner stations offer a relatively poor view of impact areas. watching wsb or world gp races, i see workers all over the track at every possible area. i've worked in the tower several weekends as an announcer, (being broken this is as close as i could get to the track) and noticed that the workers had to call control to display a flag instead of being allowed to use thier judgement on the flagging. is this typical? do the officials go to the stations and see if they can indeed see the track until the next station? what can we do as riders to make sure that incidents like savanna can be avoided in the future? some of the stations are hundreds of yards from each other, nelson being a prime example. someone in t4 couldn't possibly see oil in t3. not bitching, just wanting to help. rob wigdorski, #122v.

2. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

I think the reason for having to call control for permission to display a flag comes from inexperience. I am sure they were told to call control with the situation. Then control probally makes the decision.
    When I worked corners at RA in 95 we had a very good group of people. Everyone was trained to make a decision and call control with the situation. Control respected our judgement and if we were wrong it was better than not doing anything at all.
    Sunday at Roebling the corner workers in T5 had to run to pick up the yellow. That flag should be in your hand at all times so you are not fumbling for it.
    I am not faulting anyone just pointing out facts. And once again I am thankfull that they do show up.

3. WERA

WERA Administrator

The corner stations at all tracks are set up to keep the workers for the car races in a safe spot where the drivers can see them with flags - neddless to say this doesn't always work for bikes. We do look at the stations and for the really badly placed ones we do move the workers to another spot however there are other considerations such as impact zones and shade etc... I don't know who was working at Savannah in 5 or what exactly happened but if changes need to be made in our procedures for that turn they will be. We are very lucky to have a great group of people working for WERA in many different capacities - one of the best parts is their overall ability to understand that we do make mistakes, there is no avoiding it - what they all strive to do is refrain from making them twice.

4. WERA

WERA Administrator

Almost forgot - corners can throw whatever flag they feel is necessary without asking for permission excpet for the red. For the red they have to ask permission but it's always granted, always. All the permission thing is is an overly involved way of getting control to actually use the words "red flag" since they have communications to all corners (some corners can't hear all of the other stations at some tracks - all of them can hear control though). This way we don't have racers in T6 getting the flag while those in T4 & T5 haven't yet and cause problems. For all the other flags the worker can throw them as needed and let control know later.

Our main problem with corner workers is a simple one with no simple answer - we just don't have enough of them.

5. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

I worked a corner and raced at Putnam 8/12-13. They were short handed so I volunteered both my one crew member and myself. This was the first time either of us had worked a corner, but it was made clear to us when and why we would use our flags. The only flag we had to ask control to use was the red. If we felt the need to show a standing yellow or a waving yellow, we were permitted and encoraged to do so. Fortunately, being a rider, I at least knew why we would display the different flags. My crew member has been around auto racing all his life, so the racetrack environment isn't new to him, and he was able to call on that experience in our corner work.

Although there were a few tumbles, no rider was injured due to no flag or an incorrect flag being displayed in any corner. As a matter of fact, our crew of "green" workers did a damn fine job. At Putnam, corner to corner visiblity is excellent and control can see almost the entirety of the track and control was very helpful.

I think the one thing we can do as riders to help keep a full staff of qualified cornerworkers is to convince somebody who cares about you to get involved and get educated. Get one of your crew to volunteer for a few races. If your a rider, volunteer at a track day or even a half day at a race.

Being a cornerworker is tough, but we can't do it without them. My many thanks to all of those volunteers!

Greg Gabis
    #223 NV

6. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Mandatory 1 day per year to get/maintain a valid license? Even if it's a little time on Saturday, and some more on Sunday.

Those that fail to comply can pay a 100% license surcharge to facilitate paying folks that work more than their required one day.
    Problem solved. Next. [​IMG]

7. wera122

wera122 Guest

We also had to yell at them to throw the red flag after the two guys crashed and spilled oil, taking out the 3 experts. When we yelled for the debris flag before the rest of the pack came up, they gabbed the yellow and were waving the red and yellow at the same time. As a racer, that means nothing to me. If there is oil on the track, I want to see the debris flag.

Several people along the fence saw a cornerworker run over to help the two guys who crashed, so he had to see the oil spilled on the track. It was a damn oil slick! Those poor guys had no chance.

It was a bad weekend for all and one I'd like to forget. After I pay for it. [​IMG]

8. Tracee Polcin

On Saturday the workers in T5 were man & woman. Sunday it was 2 dudes. Yeah I saw her waving both flags. [​IMG] So you were yelling too for the red flags. I was yelling at the top of lungs for the red. And I agree with you that the workers had to of seen the oil as it was from the inside to the outside of the trackand he had to run through it to get to the riders.

9. wera122

wera122 Guest

Damn, we must have been standing right next to each other. I think the only way to have it done right is if we do it ourselves. My friend and I were talking about the oil, and if it was us we would have been standing on the track with the debris flag and waving violently for everyone to slow to a crawl.

I would gladly cornerwork after my races for a reduction in entry fees or free practice.

10. Tracee Polcin

I would too, but not sure if they would like me bringing my cooler for some liquid refreshments, if ya know what I mean. [​IMG]

11. wera122

wera122 Guest

Not to mention the fact that what would happen if you were out behind the cornerworker station relieving yourself when some 600 Novice decided to wad his bike in front of you. [​IMG]

12. wera122

wera122 Guest

I think I just answered my own question. You'd already be "waving the yellow"

HA HA HA HA HA HA!

13. Tracee Polcin

Well it really would be a standing yellow. [​IMG]

14. Tracee Polcin

Then of course the waving would be when your are finishing up. But this would be too difficult for the woman workers. So you would have to pair them up. [​IMG]

15. wera122

wera122 Guest

You know, we'd all be locked up somewhere under observation if we didn't have racing to release our psychotic tendencies. [​IMG]

16. robw122

robw122 Well-Known Member

how'd you guys get out? they keep putting more padding in my room everyday.

17. wera122

wera122 Guest

Just give them the secret code. You know, that really cool number....122 (shhh! don't tell anyone) and they'll let you out to race. [​IMG]

18. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Ummmm... does any one know the signal that corner workers working pick-up use to tell the "Com" person (the one on the radio or headphones) to stop the race? For those who don't, it is a slicing motion of the hand across the neck or cutting the throat, usually accompanied by pointing down at the track. Other more inventive types use the middle digit followed by pointing at the track. Either way, it is a simple gesture that means "STOP THIS RACE!"

I've used the "cut the throat" signal at the starter or corner workers on some occasions while on the track. It gets the reaction I want. Then again, they tend to pay attention to me when I'm on the track. Sometimes.

Try using this signal when you feel the race should be stopped for oil on the track. It beats trying to yell over the noise of a screaming race engine while passing some one at 100 mph.

THE Rain Director

19. Tracee Polcin

Good to know that if I am on the track. Both me and Tom were not on the track at the time of the incident, thank God. I was in my pit on the other side of the fence. And I am sure Tom was already sucking down some beers trying to figure out wht the hell just happened to him.

20. wera122

wera122 Guest

Yeah, that is good to know. I'll try that next time I'm leading with a couple laps to go! [​IMG]

I may not have been able to ride after my incident, but I sure could limp over to the cooler and grab a beer. Actually Tracee, I was drinking one while leaning against the fence and watching the race. You probably didn't recognize me since we've never met. [​IMG]

CB500 had an awesome save after running through the oil. He was right behind the crash when it happened. He probably still hasn't cleaned the oil off his bike or helmet! [​IMG]