1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living/Working in Abu Dhabi, UAE

Discussion in 'General' started by onepusher, Nov 26, 2014.

1. onepusher

onepusher Socially Inappropriate

It seems I have landed a job working in Abu Dhabi. I have never been to the area, but have a friend who's working for the same company and he loves it. Just wanted to see if any of you have visited the area. Thoughts/Pros/Cons/Suggestions?
    I'm single

2. June-yer

June-yer Well-Known Member

No experience here, but I'll bet this will be a good experience for you. Stay out of jail. Best wishes to ya.:up:

3. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Look up the laws there before you commit, crazy strict. For example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7234786.stm

"cold and flu medication could result in a mandatory four-year prison sentence, Fair Trials International said.

In one of the most extreme cases, it reported a man being held after poppy seeds from a bread roll were found on his clothes."

Take note if you take any prescriptions.

Also I hope you dont like to have a beer every now and then cause thats out too.

4. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

"Meanwhile, a Swiss national is serving a four-year jail term after three poppy seeds from a bread roll he ate at Heathrow airport were found on his clothes."

5. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

You have to fly straight.

6. onepusher

I have familiarized myself with the culture and the laws. It is a conservative country. Thank you for the comments, anything positive to say?

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My wife's uncle has worked there for the last 5 years. Not sure who he is with but he's an architect. He loves it and is making killer money.

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

The few people that I know that worked in the Country/Region did so before 9/11.

Some of the stuff that they claimed that happened behind closed doors more than made up for the conservative role play in public.

I know some that have traveled there an love it after 9/11. It is good living for those that have the cash and influence. There is signficant numbers of foreigners making a go there. You may not feel as a foreigner so much.

I applied for a job there, about two weeks back. I would not hesitate to go, if the offer comes through.

9. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I've been to Dubai (another city in UAE) and it's actually pretty liberal. I understand Abu Dhabi is a bit more conservative, but they are open for business, and there are lots of foreigners there.

Just act like you are a guest and you should be fine. What this will do for your dating life I don't know...

Definitively a good opportunity to make some decent money, and there are some tax advantages to look at.

Good luck

10. onepusher

Thank you for the insight.. I have heard more positive things then negative about the area. It will allow me an opportunity to make some good money. And my buddy said they do track days almost every weekend. Plenty of riding in the dirt too. All this sounds good to me.

11. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Positive isnt really my M O, Im more of a complainer. :moon:

I have a friend in Kuwait, been there for almost 3 years and he has been to UAE twice for vacation, and to explore, and liked it, much more so than Kuwait. He does love the ability to travel often and fairly cheaply.

12. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

UAE

Lived there for a yr and a half. Great place to experience with lots to see and do. If you like heat, summer will fix that for you.

Downsides? The Emirate nationals or any Arab will not hide the fact they think you are a second class citizen. If you have a business deal gone wrong or altercation with a local, you will lose that battle, no matter how right or wrong you are. I cannot stress that enough. A UAE prison is not a place to be...

13. onepusher

Good to know, don't plan on visiting any prison. But ya never with me.

14. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Spent a significant time in the UAE while in the Navy. The best place to be is Dubai.
    Tips:

Anything you want to buy will have a market. And I mean anything. Spend some time getting the lay of the land.

Do not make a spectacle of yourself in public for any reason. Not drunk or any show of affection with a female. Act as if you are being filmed at all times in the public eye.

Stay out of the clubs and other establishments ear marked for the locals, high end or low end. Clubs for westerners have just as much to offer in every regard.

Never pay the asking price for anything other than food in a market or restaurant. Negotiate the price for everything in the gold souk (market) or in the clubs. You'll get a significant discount on everything from gold and jewelry to well, use your imagination.

Understand that the locals can be very pious, outrageously arrogant and/or complete hypocrites. Or any combination of those.

Have money. You can get great deals on gold and gem stones (based on your negotiation skills).

Everything you want to buy will have a market. A place where all the dealers are located. There are massive opportunities to purchase motorcycles you don't see here and ship them home. I also found thousands of used bikes in their "junk yard" type market area. Street two strokes, the small displacement 400 supersport type bikes as well. Again your negotiation skills will dictate the price structure. Less negotiating for name brands in the malls and stores geared for tourists.

Which leads me to this:
    Get a guide. Befriend someone you can develop a trusting friendship with and a whole new world will open up. Not necessarily a local but someone who has been around.

Careful with the Russian females, real mercenaries. I would not bring a wife home. My policy was what happened in Dubai stayed in Dubai.
    If you want specifics PM me.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  15. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

HA! The Cyclone club...steer clear. Had a couple of associates that imported Russian brides upon return to the States with predictable results. Used to fly in and out of Sharjah, that was the main hub for shift change at the whore houses. Quite a funny sight to have 150 hookers lined up to clear customs.

The UAE would be a pretty ok place if not for the locals. Still better than Saudi by a long shot though.

16. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Blast from the past that. I liked the York and frequented a few others. Names escape me now. I preferred the mid-level clubs for price and selection.
    Dubai was by far THE assignment in the Gulf. I'm going back a ways to the first Gulf war and afterwards with work over there. Back again after the Cole bombing, then again after 9/11.
    Recently had a reunion of sorts. One of our Chiefs, who is one of my best friends, suffered a terrible family loss and it brought out almost the whole unit, including a significant number of plank holders. A combination of war stories, tears, and laughs ensued.

17. onepusher

This was very insightful and helpful. Thank you for taking the time to pass on the info.

18. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yep, lived there for a year and a half basically. What the above said. Find a cabbie, pay him well at first then you will have him at your beckon call. Don't get a car there.

The women, well they can be phenomenal but know what they are there for. I have met a couple of legit women while there. Had fun and left them there.

Don't get too wrapped in the night life there though. That is very easy.

19. onepusher

I hear ya about the women and the night life. I have a good friend that works for the same company I will be working for. So I'm good to go with the tour. I will be enjoying the riding weather both on and off road. Plan to do some traveling too.

20. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I wouldn't ride a bike there. Or if you do, be VERY careful. It gets so hot that when you flip up your visor the heat burns your eyes. But the reason it is dangerous there is they literally don't care. They drive with Allah so if they die it is ok because they go to heaven with 72 virgins.

I'm not kidding, when they drive and crash... they kill EVERY ONE in the car. EVERYONE.

Go sign up for a trackday at the Abu Dhabi circuit though. I was going to take the Keith Code school there. I should have.